Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting into reloading

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What's the difference between a breech lock press and turret press?

Turret allows you to do several operations 1 right after the other to 1 piece of brass.

So you can:
    prime
    charge
    seat a bullet
    and crimp

And only touch the brass once. Its much faster than a breech lock, and a bit slower than a progressive. But it allows you (I think) the Quality Control of a single stage press.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Good reloading equipment will last a life time. Some of the RCBS equipment I'm using is more than 45 years old and still works like new. Just something to think about before you buy equipment .With proper maintenance it will last longer than you will.
    Last edited by FLT; December 15th, 2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Yea I just watched a video on it and I like it. I'll more than likely get that one

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    Yea I just watched a video on it and I like it. I'll more than likely get that one
    Someone makes a $10 add on that ejects the cartridge at the last station for you.. A good little add on.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    My advice is always to get a single stage press and use it for six months (I mean really use it, not leave it in the box), then go buy a Dillon 650. I've never taken a class on reloading, but now that they are available I would be in the very next one if I were starting over.

Reloading needs to be learned one station/one step at a time. Whether one uses a progressive press or a single stage there is absolutely no substitute for knowing the feel of the handle as the press performs a given step or function.

In ANY progressive press you can feel each function, but the experience is "compressed" because several functions are happening near simultaneously. That is not conducive to new reloaders learning what they really do need to know.

So as i suspect you can guess; I highly recommend a single stage press to start with. Even over a "turret" style press. They are slick - sure enough. But when they do start to wear, and they will, where they wear is where the turret is connected to the frame. That translates directly to inconsistent ammunition. I don't personally like inconsistent ammunition.

Not only will the single stage serve you for a lifetime but if you buy one from "Big Green" you will have a press that you can load virtually any cartridge you can come with with dies for. And do it consistently.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Where are these reloading classes?

And I know what you mean by the learning the feel, I've got a lot of thinking to do.

Also I got a 10% discount code for certain brands at PSA in an order today that expires 1/31/15
    For Blackhawk! Its blackhawk10
    For RCBS it RCBS10
    for Bushnell its Bushnell10