Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting into reloading

getting into reloading

Ok so I'm planning on converting to 300 blackout because of the C/R when reloading.

My question is with the setup, primarily if I got a lee loadmaster and ran it in a single stage setup until I get well adjusted, will it be harder than starting on a single stage?

Also is the lee .300blackout die set good?

Graduate
    Marcus would be the one i would ask both on conversion and press questions

I haven't started loading blackout yet...but have dies..no brass conversion tools..

...also if you edit the title of the post to the caliber it may bring more/quicker responses..
    Last edited by mapper; December 14th, 2014 at 11:35 PM.

Sunny do you have brass conversion questions or questions a bout reloading 300 In General (which dies, press, etc)
    Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

I plan to convert 5.56 brass to 300 using the micro saw and jig.
    I just want to know if my plan of learning on a progressive press will make it more difficult. And is there a store in/around Tallahassee for reloading supplies

I had to mod the hell out of my Lee press, so I could knock most of the prep work on that. After the brass has been cut I can decap, resize, and trim on my press. That's why I am getting dillon with my tax return. You will need small base dies and good lube (Imperial wax, hornady one shot spray). Make sure to sort your brass!!!! This is big deal, because foreign military brass will cause stress on your saw and dies, because it is way too thick. Kevins and DSH will have a bunch of stuff. Start with a single stage, before you goto a Progressive press. That's how I started. I have converted over 10,000 pieces already and the first 2,000 I did with a single stage press and you can ask mike he has not had a single problem with any of that brass.
    Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

you can ask mike he has not had a single problem with any of that brass.

Even better than that: not even a single case came to me out of specification. Out of hundreds and hundreds.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I love my load master. I don't run enough loads to justify the other brands, and I am sure they are even more awesome than my $140 progressive.

I don't run blackout yet, but I will shortly. I read various reviews that made me worry about the lee dies, then I read reviews on RCBS and Hornady dies and many of the same complaints, about ammo not chambering when using xxx dies.

So I will make sure I buy my dies from someone with a very easy return policy. And make just a few rounds to start to ensure I'm not producing junk.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

From what I've read over at http://300blktalk.com/, the Lee dies aren't very good. I use the RCBS AR Series Dies Small Base 2-Die set with a Lee Factory Crimper. When I was doing my research, I ran across this post that details the process: http://imgur.com/a/bluJu

Go ahead and do yourself a favor by getting a Sheridan Slotted .300 Gauge. It is a very quick and easy way to see if you are putting out junk and helps to identify issues with brass.

For reloading supplies, Academy has primers and some .308 bullets. I've been loading up Hornady 150 gr FMJBT w/H110 for trips to the range. Kevin's and DSH should have powder from time to time. If you are looking for premium bullets, I can't recommend these enough for the price: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/214...d-hollow-point. You won't break the bank working up a load for those.

If you want some decent factory plinking ammo to break things in, try these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183...ProductFinding

I'm going to get the Lee single stage kit and probably upgrade later. All my brass will be from airgator so that I have a reliable and trustworthy supply. Also is a 1/8 twist in a 16" barrel sufficient for subsonic loads? I don't have a can yet but I plan on loading subsonic loads for HD so if I do fire inside I won't loose my hearing

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    I'm going to get the Lee single stage kit and probably upgrade later. All my brass will be from airgator so that I have a reliable and trustworthy supply. Also is a 1/8 twist in a 16" barrel sufficient for subsonic loads? I don't have a can yet but I plan on loading subsonic loads for HD so if I do fire inside I won't loose my hearing
    Get the Lee ClassicTurret Press instead. For only a few dollars more you get a top of the line turret press and you can easily run it single stage. A standard press is something most re loaders need, but they can be picked up used for next to nothing.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.