Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thumper - the 45-70 Government

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Reloading the .45-70 is simpler because it's not 'necked down' right?
    The cases aren't necked down, but they are tapered slightly. The cases have on outer diameter of .480 at the mouth and .504 just in front of the rim.
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

I would like to add . . .

Bodo, you are on the right track with your statement, but you may be interested in WHY if you do not know already. In a word: "HEADSPACING".

Rimmed cartridges be they pistol or rifle headspace off that rim. Bottleneck cartridges technically headspace off the end of the case shoulder.

HOWEVER

With bottleneck cartridges there can be a number of different factors that prevent that cartridge from headspacing as desired. Basically; everything from the point where the bottleneck begins to the actual mouth of the case.

Look at this image. I am sure that you can imagine how a number of factors such as neck length, shoulder size, angle of the area between the shoulder and the case neck can affect proper chambering.

So . . in order to load (or reload) bottleneck cartridges correctly a person has to be aware of a lot of dimensions. Like these:

Again, with a rimmed cartridge style, there are only a couple of things that can screw up proper/safe chambering, as this image shows:

Now it is also very important to understand that there ARE exceptions to these basics. For instance virtually all autoloading pistol cartridges. They are rebated rims (meaning the rim is the same size or smaller than the case body) such as the .45ACP, 9MM, .380 ACP and they headspace off the case mouth.

One last reference . . just in case . . . definition of "headspace":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headspace_(firearms)

Hope this helps.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Sophomore
    A gentleman has loaned me a .45-70 Sharps to hunt with this year for a little bit in exchange for some meat. I am excited to put it to work. Should be fun and interesting.
    "I will not apologize for who I am or what I believe in. I will be my own man. If you want to stand beside me and fight then come on. Just know that I will wait for no one. But, if you join me I will fight until my last breath. I will live and die for each and every person. I may not agree with your lifestyle, but I will love you as my Father in Heaven has commanded. Now, I will not stand for the way us gun owners are treated. So I will prepare."
    -From my own mouth

Most of those older Sharps do well with a big bullet (over 500 grains) and may shoot a lead bullet better than a jacketed one. You gonna shoot Black Powder in your cartridge for a truly authentic feel? Jim
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Sophomore
    No sir. The gentleman that let me borrow only shot leverrevolution in it. If it was my own I would load it up with black powder and a lead ball. But, I am not gonna deviate from what he was using. I don't care if the deer is 50 yards or 500 yards its gonna be awesome!
    "I will not apologize for who I am or what I believe in. I will be my own man. If you want to stand beside me and fight then come on. Just know that I will wait for no one. But, if you join me I will fight until my last breath. I will live and die for each and every person. I may not agree with your lifestyle, but I will love you as my Father in Heaven has commanded. Now, I will not stand for the way us gun owners are treated. So I will prepare."
    -From my own mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    I have a new england single shot 45-70. It is the only gun that has given me scope eye. I hang deer by the neck and shoot 80% of my deer in the neck. It is the only gun that has made the neck hang impossible
    2 have ripped off the buck pole when the hide was removed do to a 45-70 wound. That was 350 gr hollow points ...core lock.
    And to think.........
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

With my .50 Beowulf, I'm getting 1900 FPS with Rainer 334gr plated HP's... no pressure signs... maybe 2000 FPS is doable... from an AR15... that's good stuff.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.