Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumper - the 45-70 Government

Thumper - the 45-70 Government

I was just browsing the "Real Guns" website looking at data. Get this . . .

1784 FPS with 3534LbFt of energy.

I dunno about you guys, but if that don't qualify as a Thumper I don't know what would!!! Holy MACKEREL !!!!

No wonder it puts holes through 2000+ pound critters !!!!

But I can't help but wonder . . . . 3534 lbft of energy slapping the trigger puller in the shoulder . . . . . think that will leave a mark?
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    yes it is not for wimps or pygmys.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    But I can't help but wonder . . . . 3534 lbft of energy slapping the trigger puller in the shoulder . . . . . think that will leave a mark?
    It really helps if you have a nice brass buttplate.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Careful with that stuff Rumbler. A load like that in your Marlin will be a wholistic experience. It might give you a liver quiver that you might not be able to recover from...
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Cant remember how hot it was loaded but I shot a 45-70 revolver, it was pretty mild compared to the sw460 mag

What was it a 500 grain bullet

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. mike View Post
    What was it a 500 grain bullet

Yeah. Can you imagine the 600 grain solids?!?!?!

Seriously, I don't feel the littlest need to shoot something like that.

I'm thinking of taking some 230 grain .451 round nose bullets, hitting them on the end with a hammer to make them bigger in diameter, and putting them on top of about 15 grains of IMR 800-x.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Grand Pooba
    Just before I stuck an arrow in a big old doe this morning "VW" came trotting past my stand. If he is an ounce he is 350lbs. Might need some of them shortly. I plan on ending his career real soon. Wish I had had a rifle instead of my bow this morning.
    Train like your life depends on it, cause it does.

I have dies on the way.

'already picked up a little bag of 425gr hardcast (50). Betcha that will drop a volkswagen in it's tracks.

I held one of those rounds yesterday. I still see it when I close my eyes. *shudder*