Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  119
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Newbie reloading questions

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    If your die is set up properly it will not make any difference how much ass you put behind pulled the handle down.Check your case length.Trim until they are all the same length.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

trim pistol cases..who does that ??
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post

I'm pretty comfortable with the recipie though, it is on the low end, but I could not get my powder disk to 7.5 or 7.6.. I have an adjustable disk on the way.. COAL has been measured on all of them... 1.125, 1.123 that sort of area, but none larger than 1.125, none smaller than 1.122. IT seems the more ass you put on the press when seating the bullet, the different the result. I am going to play with the seating die to account for this i think.
    For 9 & 45's, I use a Lee press with the disk powder measure as well. The first couple loads I did were at the low end of the tables, and while they shot just fine and were within the proper fps of the manual, I would get a few FTF's. So the disk's next charge-setting up was perfect. The lack of an ability for finer adjustment is the one thing I don't like about the disks. But once you do find the right spot, it's so easy. And really, 45ACP is about the easiest cartridge to load (that I have seen in my few years of reloading).

I have a some 77gr 5.56 you can try if you are still chasing that down. I worked up a magic load for my precision AR.
    ------ For the ordinary person, everything is either a blessing or a curse. For the warrior, there are only challenges.--------

------Boat ramps and gun ranges can be some of the best places to see the depth of human stupidity------

------ "It doesn't matter.......it is AK......" AKOUL4774------

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    I trim down 9x19mm to 9x18mm on occasion, but by and large I don't even measure pistol brass. Ain't gonna hurt anything to measure/trim. Just extra work. If I was going to trim it would probably be with .357 Sig., but I've never loaded any .357 Sig. Hmmm. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea with other bottleneck pistol calibers but I haven't loaded any of those enough times to worry about it, yet. Revolver brass needing crimping can benefit from trimming for consistency. The whole subject probably boils down to what you think you're doing...
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Never have normal caliber pistol brass. Jim
    Last edited by JMW4570; March 16th, 2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added 'pistol'
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Range trip went well

Recoil was stout but manageable. About as hot as I would want for practice in a Glock 23
    All rounds chambered and cycled reliably and accuracy was great.

Of the brass I recovered, the case mouth of all were deformed. Is this something I need to look into more ?
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Graduate
    How is it deformed?

stand by for text pic..

Graduate
    Usually, that is an indication it is hitting the inside of the ejection port on the way out. Depending on the gun that can be a result of a lot of things! Once we put them over a chrono we can tell if there is too much or too little velocity running.

OK...well if I load up say 20 or 25 can we look at it at the next C4 ? Would you mind bringing your chrono.. I will also bring the brass for you to look at.
    A couple of them have some healthy extraction and ejector marks on the rims.. 2 of the seven I recovered to be exact.