Signal 0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Shooting 400 yards with a red dot.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shooting 400 yards with a red dot.

Ok, I've never shot over 100 yards without a magnified optic. The next 3 gun advertises 400 yards.

So I need to increase the velocity of my learning.

My thoughts on what to do..

1. I have a 50/200 yard zero on my Aimpoint. I don't want to change my zero (but I will need to verify it at 200 and re-adjust). So I will need to calculate a hold over for xm193 at 400 yards and learn what that looks like.

Question. What kind of target is optimal for a red dot sight at 200/300 and 400 yards. The targets I usually use with a quarter sized red spot will be useless I would assume because I won't see them.

2. Practice. I need help. I guess I need to practice shooting and getting into the prone quickly. Any drills/suggestions welcomed.

Oh, I just thought of something. I have a Matech BUIS on this rifle. Perhaps I should just set that SOB to 400m and skip the RDS on the long stuff?
    Last edited by Dale Gribble; October 22nd, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.