nosig's post and the article reminded me of Tom Givens' article on point shooting. As a general rule/tactic, I don't believe in Point Shooting per se and agree with a video posted some years back by Kyle Lamb, who after being in gunfights, recommends using the sights when ever possible.

I caught some grief at work when two other very experienced and seasoned instructors recommended we develop a "Point Shooting" training session. My pre-Givens' article response was you won't find my name on the training schedule for such nor will I be on the range during such training. When Tom Givens printed the below article, it swayed the guys maybe it's not a good idea after all.

The article suggests reasons why which I agree with ALONG with the fact in my business you're often dealing with the lowest common denominator... in short, you mention to someone it's "ok" to NOT use your sights, they won't... and then say in a post shooting investigation where the injured or killed an innocent person that they did exactly what they were trained to do.

This does not mean to say from 10' or less there is not merit to Point Shooting, Index Shooting, Threat Focused Shooting, Instinctive Shooting, or what ever fancy name you attach to the idea of thrusting your pistol out and firing w/o any effort to at least find and superimpose the front sight on your target.

If you look at many of the dash cam videos of shooting you can clearly see officers pulling the trigger while their pistol is no where near up on the sight plane... the result is a bunch of misses. I'm with Tom and Kyle on this.

http://rangemaster.com/wp-content/up...Newsletter.pdf