Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  494
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumbler... The Legend

When Talon was still under construction and Mike would be out there working the temporary range for the Charter Members my daughter and I would go out and shoot. She was still shooting a single shot 22, but by the end of day 1 Rumbler had her shooting a .45, a Wilson Combat out of the Big Red Range Bag. Mike would keep giving her loaded mags and tell her to keep shooting. We would go out to Talon and she would ask me "is Rumbler going to be there?" Shortly after Talon was open to the Public daughter gave Rumbler/Talon her single shot youth mdl for other kids to enjoy and participate, and he assured her it would be used well and often. Everytime she would ask about it he would tell her about this kid or that one and that it was being enjoyed. Yep Mike was a tough hombre, but kids was another level of Rumbler that was reassuring and gentle and they took right to him. He really made an impact on many lives, I know I witnessed it first hand.
    Let us skip the other lies, for brevity’s sake. To consider them would prove nothing, except that man is what he is—loving toward his own, lovable, to his own,—his family, his friends—and otherwise the buzzing, busy trivial, enemy of his race—who tarries his little day, does his little dirt, commends himself to God, and then goes out into the darkness, to re-turn no more, and send no messages back—selfish even in death.
    Mark Twain

........and that's really his legacy. He'll live on through the kids he taught, and they kids they'll teach. May we all make such an impact.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

The first time I saw Mike was shortly after the WCSO range opened up to the public. I was on duty as an RSO that day ,and as my job dictates,was watching everyone closely. That evening I read a post on TGF from Rumbler that went something like, there's this RSO at WCSO that was watching me like a hawk. That's when I realized it was him. The next time I saw Mike I approached him and introduced myself and explained to him that I watch everyone closely the first time I see them for safely manipulating there firearms. We started talking and both of us realized we had a lot in common, I don't think he shot that day. When he started coaching the FSU shooting team I would always make it a point to spend time with them and occasionally bring the.50 out for them to shoot. They always had a good time. Mike,as most of you know, was an outstanding teacher but also knew when to be a student. I know we both learned a lot from each other over the years and I will miss him dearly. Just won't be the same world without him.

That's all for now,more to follow.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbag II View Post
    I met Mike the first time I went to the public range many years ago. I see this Unabomber looking dude in that camo truck pull up and he sets up next to me. We started talking and found out that we had both moved up here from the Keys. We immediately hit it off and next thing I know he is letting my 6 year old daughter shoot his Ruger 22 and teaching her the basics. Next he lets my boy shoot his "poodle shooter". From there on in Mike and I became shooting partners for a long time. If you ever saw Mike at the range or at WCSO and saw a guy and his son with him that was me. The memories are to many to list. My fondest are him scaring the shit out of the guy hiding in the woods aiming his rifle at people, the time at Frank's T&F when that Tika lite 30-06 gave him a big fat scope ring kiss which I never let him live down. The first time he shot a Glock and the look on his face which was priceless. The look on his face the first time he bought a Glock. The amount of shit I gave him when he started driving that big red pedo mobile which I would refuse to sit in, then switching to that shitty blue Saturn. The day I sold him his first M1A. The love he had for that old Norinco 1911 and that little Swiss army knife with "Captain Fuzzy" carved in the side. Unfortunately the last couple of years with Mike at Talon full time, and me working two jobs to pay for my kids travel ball we hung out a lot less and I wasn't there for him as much as I would have liked to. When we did hook up it was like if we had just spent some time together the day before.
    Fuck my man, as I type this it really is starting to hit me as to how important you were to me and my family. RIP my brother.

I was going to mention this too. You picked me up and we went to the range together that day. Rumbler drove me home and he told me a story of how he saved gov. Jeb Bush from a locked elevator. Unsure how true that story was but he told it very well!

Mike wasn't one for tall tales, if he said it I believe it. If I remember correctly we introduced you to the Hungarian ak's correct?
    !

Like most everyone I originally knew Rumbler from the forum, and met Mike the first time out on the Temporary range. The one time that sticks out in my mind was after the Range had opened full time, I took my teenage daughter and one of her friends out. This was their first time shooting anything larger than a pellet rifle and were a bit nervous. Mike's generous and kind nature despite his large, gruff appearance put the girls at ease almost instantly. He will be missed...
    "This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

Captain Steve Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbag II View Post
    I met Mike the first time I went to the public range many years ago. I see this Unabomber looking dude in that camo truck pull up and he sets up next to me. We started talking and found out that we had both moved up here from the Keys. We immediately hit it off and next thing I know he is letting my 6 year old daughter shoot his Ruger 22 and teaching her the basics. Next he lets my boy shoot his "poodle shooter". From there on in Mike and I became shooting partners for a long time. If you ever saw Mike at the range or at WCSO and saw a guy and his son with him that was me. The memories are to many to list. My fondest are him scaring the shit out of the guy hiding in the woods aiming his rifle at people, the time at Frank's T&F when that Tika lite 30-06 gave him a big fat scope ring kiss which I never let him live down. The first time he shot a Glock and the look on his face which was priceless. The look on his face the first time he bought a Glock. The amount of shit I gave him when he started driving that big red pedo mobile which I would refuse to sit in, then switching to that shitty blue Saturn. The day I sold him his first M1A. The love he had for that old Norinco 1911 and that little Swiss army knife with "Captain Fuzzy" carved in the side. Unfortunately the last couple of years with Mike at Talon full time, and me working two jobs to pay for my kids travel ball we hung out a lot less and I wasn't there for him as much as I would have liked to. When we did hook up it was like if we had just spent some time together the day before.
    Fuck my man, as I type this it really is starting to hit me as to how important you were to me and my family. RIP my brother.
    I ended up with that Norinco, It shall recieve an engraved "Rumbler" on it somewhere.
    Let us skip the other lies, for brevity’s sake. To consider them would prove nothing, except that man is what he is—loving toward his own, lovable, to his own,—his family, his friends—and otherwise the buzzing, busy trivial, enemy of his race—who tarries his little day, does his little dirt, commends himself to God, and then goes out into the darkness, to re-turn no more, and send no messages back—selfish even in death.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyBrent View Post
    I ended up with that Norinco, It shall recieve an engraved "Rumbler" on it somewhere.
    Wow, the old goat gave that up? He had that thing over 30 years. To him it was more like a multi tool. I've seen him use it as a hammer, pry bar, etc... Glad he passed it on
    !

Damm, so many good stories. Keep them coming.

In the next couple of days, I will be compiling a list of these stories and sending them to his brother.

I, for one, wanna hear the one about the guy that was pointing his gun at folks at the public range.