Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bugout Bonanza??

Bugout Bonanza??

Whats up, CCGF?

With every small thing that we do in shooting or training, you must crawl, walk and run before achieving the best proficiency. Rehearsal and practice are absolutely essential in all things, like sex and wearing high heels. Most of us have a bugout plan, but have you ever practiced it? If not, why do we give so much attention to the small things and yet neglect the things that require the most rehearsal?

So here’s my idea: The Bugout Bonanza.

Torreya State Park is approximately one hour west of Tallahassee, and offers Primitive Camping sites. This may not be the most idyllic bugout location, and I know we all have our own planned out. The park, however, will serve as an adequate "training" area. The park has amenities such as free firewood and accessible water. There is no chopping of trees or disturbing the natural environment off the trails, so no building of shelter, like you may have to in a real situation. This is only the crawl stage. Participants can practice their fire craft and water procurement and sanitation. Also, no firearms are allowed in state parks.

On the way to Torreya, participants can use the opportunity to individually assess their readiness. Gear, vehicles, and time spent getting out of town can all be researched and evaluated. The best route to the link-up point (Parking lot of Torreya) and be assessed from each individual home or work.

In other words, the Bonanza would progress into several stages.

1. Individual planning and preparedness leading up to the event.
    2. Day of the event, a “catastrophe” happens at a pre-designated time. Participants begin “bugging out”.
    3. Participants make their way to the link-up point along individual routes.
    4. Headcount and accountability of participants.
    5. Coordination with State Park officials. Passes purchased for each participant.
    6. Hike to camping site with packs and/or gear.
    7. Set up camp site/training (Land nav? Patrolling?)
    8. Overnight stay.
    9. 8AM wake-up. Second day optional.

The cost for this event will be negligible. Gas to and from event + 10$ entry to park (I think).

Input on times/dates coming soon or can be discussed.

Informal training environment. Best training value is individual assessment of equipment, skills and abilities.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

-OM
    Last edited by OscarMike1127; September 29th, 2015 at 02:10 PM.
    “Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.”
    ― Thucydides, The History of the Peloponnesian War

“Three of the greatest failings, want of sense, of courage, or of vigilance.”

Interesting Idea.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Great. If we can get enough trainers/classes together, we can spend the day round robin through them all.
    “Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.”

The drop off behind the Gregory House is dramatic to those used to a flat Florida;the pic doesn't do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by polebarn View Post
    The drop off behind the Gregory House is dramatic to those used to a flat Florida;the pic doesn't do it justice.

We would be drawing water from and camping along the save river.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarMike1127 View Post
    This is only the crawl stage. Participants can practice their fire craft and water procurement and sanitation. Also, no firearms are allowed in state parks.
    Negative.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2015/870.06

While we may not be intending it as a paramilitary event, could it be construed as such by a liberal hack prosecutor?

specifically regarding "drill"
    Being as we would only be practicing bushcraft and preparedness, and not in armed drill or parade, I reckon we will be safe. But let your conscience be your guide.
    Last edited by Tack Driver; November 27th, 2017 at 06:35 PM.

Really? I don’t believe so. The only exception is transporting to or from a range I think.

i was under the impression that due to pre-emption, the state statute, specifically 790.025, ruled over any state regulations enacted by FWC or florida department of state.
    I don’t know, my friend. Its worth calling about, thats for sure. I think it would be wise to err on the side of caution, however.
    Last edited by Tack Driver; November 27th, 2017 at 06:35 PM.

Gotcha. So concealed carry only. According to the email, the law does not provide for open carry or ​ the carry of a rifle.
    Last edited by Tack Driver; November 27th, 2017 at 06:34 PM.