Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracks in the brass

Graduate

Cracks in the brass

I was going through my 8x57 brass, and noticed that about 1/2 of them from my reloads have cracks in the brass between the shoulder and the neck. No bulges, no powder marks, just cracks. I've never loaded these things hot, though some of them may have been reloaded 2-3 times. Is this an indication of a bigger problem, or have I simply worn out the brass from reloading it? Every round was fired in a post-war M43 Spanish Air Force Mauser carbine (K98 clone), manufactured in the early 1950s.

I'd recommend anealing the necks on the rest of the brass before you reload it again. There are some online vids around on how to do that. Rifle brass can get brittle after resizing. Some military rifle chambers are "loose" and the brass is worked harder during firing and resizing.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Very true JMW4570
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by JMW4570 View Post
    I'd recommend anealing the necks on the rest of the brass before you reload it again. There are some online vids around on how to do that. Rifle brass can get brittle after resizing. Some military rifle chambers are "loose" and the brass is worked harder during firing and resizing.
    Would neck sizing only help also in a situation like this, assuming you only use the brass in this one gun?
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

If the cracks are forming in the neck, neck sizing won't help if you have a larger chamber. Some brass is more brittle than others and I suspect military brass is designed for single use unlike Lapua or the other fancy stuff. Even so, the firing process can put a lot of strain on the brass as well as resizing (both activities work harden the brass). Eventually, the stress is too much for it and it cracks (unless it is annealed which softens the brass).
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Quote Originally Posted by JMW4570 View Post
    If the cracks are forming in the neck, neck sizing won't help if you have a larger chamber. Some brass is more brittle than others and I suspect military brass is designed for single use unlike Lapua or the other fancy stuff. Even so, the firing process can put a lot of strain on the brass as well as resizing (both activities work harden the brass). Eventually, the stress is too much for it and it cracks (unless it is annealed which softens the brass).
    What he said.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato

Graduate
    The necks seem fine. The cracks are all at or above the shoulder, but below the neck. Will give annealing a try. I appreciate the counsel.

Dale - yes, only used in this gun over the last 40 years. I noticed a price tag on the box of unprimed brass, that I paid $3.85 for it at The Outdoors Shop, which would have been when they were on that south end of the Northwood Mall, so these things are old. I've had the reloader since about 1975, so these babies could easily have been pushed beyond life expectancy.
    Last edited by substratum; May 12th, 2015 at 09:32 AM.

Graduate
    I don't know why but I believe brass hardens with age .I recently fired some 243 Winchester rounds that were loaded in 1978/79 . I used new Winchester cases , IMR 4895 powder and Sierra 85 grain HPBT bullets when I loaded them about a third of them split the necks when I fired them. A few split in the shoulder area. I used the same bolt action rifle that I've used all this years and haven't had any problems with newer ammo either before or after I fired this old ammo.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    I don't know why but I believe brass hardens with age.
    I wonder if its age, or airborn contaminants? I've shot sealed Greek HXP that was that old and older that was perfect and sits in my 30-06 box waiting for the day when I reload it.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    I don't know Dale it's possible I guess. Or it could of been a bad box or two of brass . But I loaded about a thousand rounds and have used it from time to time over all these years and never notice this problem before. This was the last few boxes in the batch and the brass and powder was all bought at the same time. I just don't know for sure what caused it.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .