Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coated Cast Pistol Bullet Suggestions?

Ive been running Bayou's for a while. They are a bit more fragile than the plated. I am now using RMR plated bullets. They are heavier plated and you can run them to 1500 without issue usually. www.rmrbullets.com
    "Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it"

Mark Twain

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

John Steinbeck

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrence View Post
    I'm looking to try coated cast lead for my 9mm loads. Any suggestions on bullets to try or avoid? I've loaded plated bullets from Berry's and Xtreme, but it looks like I can reduce my cost significantly with coated bullets. Any reservations with Missouri Bullet Company or Bayou Bullets?
    Particularly if you're plinking or competing the coated lead will save you some noticeable bucks at the end of the day. I have been shooting Bayou lately and have had great success. Like everyone is saying, I can use a little less powder and get the same or higher velocity. I have also used "Blue Bullets" and the "Black Bullets". All are basically the same. Coated lead. I don't have any issues with smoke, or fouling of the barrel on my pistols.

Bayou Bullets have been great to work with lately. I was short $3.00 on an order. They sent me my bullets anyway. I ordered 1000 rounds, they showed up at my door be the end of the week. My suggestion would be to order a small amount from several companies and test them out. Find one you like and shoots well from your pistol/rifle and then have at it!

Coach.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ordered 500 125 gr. RN coated from lucky13.com and 250 147 gr. flat nose from thebluebullets.com. I've been working up a load for 300 blk with some of the lucky 13 bullets, and the blue bullets seem to have some good reviews online as well.

Freshman
    Have you tried to powder coat your own???

I have done the "Shake and Bake" method on some 9mm and 44 mag and the work real well!
    A gun is kind of like a parachute;
    if you need one and don't have one,
    you'll probably never need one again
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine!!!

I don't know how the powdercoat would react to the higher temps of the barrel after a few shots. Mixing the hex in the powder might be interesting also. The particles are pretty good size from the Bayou bullets I have.
    "Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it"

Mark Twain

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

John Steinbeck

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter940 View Post
    Have you tried to powder coat your own???

I have done the "Shake and Bake" method on some 9mm and 44 mag and the work real well!
    This sounds like more work than I'm willing to put forward! Time is my biggest obstacle, so I'll grit my teeth and write the check for the bullets I want to be delivered ready to be loaded up.

Marcus has been playing with home powdercoated bullets, at least for the 300BLK.

But you know how Marcus is; great starter, terrible finisher so I have no idea what if any end result he has had.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.