Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  119
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie reloading questions

Newbie reloading questions

I am thinking I might start to reload in .40 and .45 as I want to shoot more.

Other than Brass, powder, primers and projos what I am looking to establish a list of EVERYTHING I need.

I have been told dillon is the way to go, but the initial outlay for something I am not sure about is too much. I figure that if in 12 months I am still reloading I will upgrade.

I know the difference between single stage and progressive and with the volume I will be reloading, have no strong opinions either way.

Is there a Kit I can buy that has everything that I just add dies to, assemble and start reloading ? If so please point me in the direction.

thanks

NJC
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

I have been thinking of actually downgrading back to a lee classic turret press. Caliber changes are really easy. Fairly fast, just takes a little longer.
    Get one of their kits, a good scale, dies, tumbler, media separator, couple of manuals.
    Not too much besides that to get started.
    Putting the Harm in Pharmacist

I am thinking I might start to reload in .40 and .45 as I want to shoot more.
    Defining "more" a little better would really help in terms of making appropriate suggestions.

"More" like 500 rounds a month, or a week? 1000 rounds? . . . <-- see what I mean?

Several companies make "kits" that contain scales, or powder measures, tools, etc. But some are far better tailored to small quantity reloading ("500 per month") and some for large quantity reloading.

Same hold true for the presses. Some are perfectly fine for "500 a month" and some are completely inadequate if you plan to reload "500 per week".
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    Come by the house and I'll run you through the basics of reloading on my 650. I promise the big check you write for one is worth every penny!

I learned a long time ago to go big early. I have regretted it every time I failed to do so. If you don't want to get a 650, the 550 is a solid machine as well.
    Last edited by AB; February 19th, 2015 at 11:47 PM.

Darned nice of AB to make that offer! . . and he is right as usual.

In the FWIW department, NJC you still have a standing open invitation to come check out our reloading facilities. Everything from single stages to XL650 and even a 550B and all the bells and whistles (tools) to load one cartridge at a time, or 500 an hour.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

If you are only doing pistol stuff, a used Dillon Square Deal B would seeming be a good deal.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    If you are only doing pistol stuff, a used Dillon Square Deal B would seeming be a good deal.
    The Square Deal is a heck of a little machine and mine just got from Dillon from its 17 year checkup. Really solid for pumping out pistol calibers up to 45 acp - I would not recommend it for 44 mag or 45 colt though, resizing those cases is a strain on those machines. But for 380, 9, 40, and 45, its the little engine that could. For high volume pistol and rifle, the 650 is an animal.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

So would a SDB Be sufficient for maybe 500 rounds a month initially. With another set of dies?

AB and RUMBLER
    i appreciate it. Still working on thr 262 mod1 project by the way.
    I know i would like and appreciate a 650 or 550 but am trying to save some pain on initial investment..
    if i can buy a kit and get loading in both calibers for the cost of a 550 that would be great.

I am not loooking to produce match grade ammo. Simply a decent quality practice ammo that i can affordably shoot in a higher quantity.
    I have an idea that i would have no problem selling a used press they seem to go pretty quick on here.

SB yeah i talk to as many guys who reload with a lee press as reload with a dillon. I have seen dillons and they are well made. I have also seen lamborghinis and can admire them also.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    So would a SDB Be sufficient for maybe 500 rounds a month initially. With another set of dies?

AB and RUMBLER
    i appreciate it. Still working on thr 262 mod1 project by the way.
    I know i would like and appreciate a 650 or 550 but am trying to save some pain on initial investment..
    if i can buy a kit and get loading in both calibers for the cost of a 550 that would be great.

I am not loooking to produce match grade ammo. Simply a decent quality practice ammo that i can affordably shoot in a higher quantity.
    I have an idea that i would have no problem selling a used press they seem to go pretty quick on here.

SB yeah i talk to as many guys who reload with a lee press as reload with a dillon. I have seen dillons and they are well made. I have also seen lamborghinis and can admire them also.
    I have a dillon 1050 so I load a shitload of rounds but when I first started out I used a single stage press.
    By using a single stage I was able to take my time and load accurately and slowly to get the process down. Then I moved up to a progressive press where things get complicated and not so nice for the beginner.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato

I gotta backup the SDB idea. 500 RPM would be a cakewalk for it.

Additionally, you will want;

* - A brass case cleaner of some type. Whole 'nother can of worms to open there, but know that the majority of folks use a "dry" tumbler with corn cob and/or walnut hulls.
    * - A vernier caliper to measure stuff with. You don't need a $200 one, but you also don't need a $9.99 one from harbor freight.
    * - A powder scale. This need not be a high end scale, but it needs to be accurate and repeatable. You will use it to set your charge weights, occasionally check your charge weights, and to confirm the bullets you buy weigh what you expect them to. So it won't be a "very frequently" use tool, but important when you do need to use it.
    * - Normally I would recommend here a reloading manual, and buying one is not a bad idea. But you have access to a buttload of load data by simply asking for it here on the forum . . or calling me on the phone.

Seems like that is about it for the 'really needs'. What am I overlooking, everyone?