Thread: Newbie reloading questions

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    OK...so I can get .40 ammo for $14 a box, thats $280 a case
    Projos are $140
    powder $40 a lb
    primers $32
    7000 grains = 1lb
    cost per required Makes Cost
    Xtreme 155gr Plated $48.60 500 1 500 $0.10 http://www.xtremebullets.com/10-40-155-RNFP-p/xc1040-155rnfp-b0500.htm
    Unique $21.00 7000 5 1400 $0.02 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2184418923/alliant-unique-smokeless-powder
    Magtech $26.00 1000 1 1000 $0.03 https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/21492
    $0.00 2500 1 2500 $0.00
    Per Round Cost $0.14
    50 round price $6.91
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    I gotta backup the SDB idea. 500 RPM would be a cakewalk for it.

Additionally, you will want;

* - A brass case cleaner of some type. Whole 'nother can of worms to open there, but know that the majority of folks use a "dry" tumbler with corn cob and/or walnut hulls.
    * - A vernier caliper to measure stuff with. You don't need a $200 one, but you also don't need a $9.99 one from harbor freight.
    * - A powder scale. This need not be a high end scale, but it needs to be accurate and repeatable. You will use it to set your charge weights, occasionally check your charge weights, and to confirm the bullets you buy weigh what you expect them to. So it won't be a "very frequently" use tool, but important when you do need to use it.
    * - Normally I would recommend here a reloading manual, and buying one is not a bad idea. But you have access to a buttload of load data by simply asking for it here on the forum . . or calling me on the phone.

Seems like that is about it for the 'really needs'. What am I overlooking, everyone?
    i'd add a Wilson case guage in each caliber.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

NJC. The 40 you shoot. Is it a glock?
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

I have glocks and H&Ks in 40
    Also looking to shoot .45ACP but primarily .40 for now...

SO yes Dale, it is , why ?
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    I have glocks and H&Ks in 40
    Also looking to shoot .45ACP but primarily .40 for now...

SO yes Dale, it is , why ?
    Glock 40's have an unsupported chamber. As I understand it their is a risk of a case rupture that is higher with reloading a glock with the stock barrel.

I don't own any .40 guns so I don't have first hand, but I am sure someone can enlighten us on the real issue.

Dale, this has been a known issue with Glocks in .40 for years. There is a very small part of the chamber right above the feed ramp that iwas unsupported. I am not sure if it is still so in current Glock generations.

Indications would be "smiley" faces on the base of the brass near the rim. REally in my understanding all you have to do is watch the cases and not load cases with smileys too hot.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Let me know if/when you get into the .40S&W reloading scene... I'll see if I can hook you up with some free brass if you need it.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

I've not had any issues in some 15 years loading for the G22/G35. Glocks are not the only pistols with partially unsupported chambers. I still think it's a reloading error more than the chamber itself.

There have been improvements from what I understand.

Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

My G22 has literally thousands of rounds of reloads through it and I have never had a problem. I don't roll my own though I smoke Georgia Arms reloads almost exclusively.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Two thoughts:

1) Ask Kevin Mock (at the range) I worked up a load for his .40S&W that is definitely into the 10MM realm. And have reloaded that brass several times now. No smilies to speak of.

2) I agree with Bob 100%. But if you get or have smileys it is not the end of the world . . or your brass. There is a thing made by most of the die companies called a "push thru base sizing die". Here is the Redding version:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod39741.aspx
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.