Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Newbie reloading questions

Oddly fulfilling. Isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    Finally got to chrono my load:

165 gr plated JHP
    winchester primers
    7.4 gr of hogdons long shot

1057 fps from a glock 22 across ABs chronograph was fastest. Average was 1030.

I'll take it. Now to start pulling the lever to make the ammo !!
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Yup,
    Cranked out about 200 rounds yesterday :-)

More to come !
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Graduate
    Progressive presses will eat components at an alarming rate. Stock up at every opportunity!

Graduate
    Totally not being snarky. How long did it take to
    make 200 rounds in your setup?

by the time I loaded primers, powder, brass etc and allowing for the fact im new and messed up a couple times, about an hour.
    I can definitely go faster, but right now I'm more concerned with getting the process down and right.

I think I could prob get around 400 an hour, but I think that would be about it. Manually setting each bullet is a pita but the Lee bullet feeder looks hokey.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

It is never about speed.

Safety first.

I absolutely agree!

The speed will come with familiarity. Putting in the time and attention to learn the feel of each individual function (station) is time best spent. You will learn by feel that the machine will almost always tell you when something is wrong, or going wrong, before it becomes a potentially dangerous situation.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

primer feeding seems to be the weak point for the lee press. I have implemented some tricks from the web and it is much better. The press primes on the up stroke of the lever and unless this is a positive motion for the full range the primer will not seat properly.So i pay a lot of attention to primers and feeding. This seems to be working.

Loaded a little more today, maybe aniother hundred. Hampered somewhat by finnicky primer feeding.

NJC, I think that you will be surprised by how much nasty crap primers come with. I would suggest cleaning all the primer feeding system you can, very thoroughly.