Signal 0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .45ACP Load

Sorry Mike. For some reason I brain farted on this reply.

Conceptually you are extremely close to being 100% on target. But the other .005% is that the recoil spring slows the unlocking AND the velocity of the slide.

Wear on the locking lugs occurs during the unlocking/locking phase, so I'm sure you understand that if the recoil spring delays the unlocking until the pressure generated by the pressure drops, could be a little, could be a lot - based on the spring rate, a heavier than stock recoil spring can actually reduce wear on the locking lugs.

As for what parts get accelerated "abuse" regardless of recoil spring weight; indeed the bolt face, link, and link boss on the bottom of the barrel.

That link, where the pin (slide lock) goes through the frame, is where the cracking usually starts. I have seen 1911s that cracked across the bolt face, through from the slide rail down to the square(ish) hole the slide lock goes into on the frame. But every one of those has been "discount" 1911s. Usually "higher quality" 1911s simply break pins or links until metal fatigue from stress fractures - caused by lots and lots of heavy loads - get the best of them.

I hope this helps. It didn't come out of any book anywhere so I don't have a real reference to offer to back it up.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

This is just me thinking out loud but wouldnt a heavy spring increase the beating the frame takes when returning to battery, especially dropping the slide on an empty chamber.

Yes. Indeed.

That is one reason why one should never drop the slide on an empty chamber.

Remember that the 45acp cartridge as a whole it a pretty substantial thing. The action of stripping a round out of the magazine, forcing it up the feed ramp and into the chamber takes relatively substantial energy. That helps slow down the slide some. But yes, absolutely, a heavier than stock recoil spring increases slide wear in the lockup area. How much it increases is more a factor of how well the slide has been heat treated at the factory than anything - bearing in mind that by design the barrel itself is a consumable and is foreseen to need replacing occasionally.

I want to clarify that I am certainly not advocating that feeding a 1911 "Rumbler loads" is conducive to the very long term health of the pistol. I shoot them 'all the time' because of the knowledge I have of the platform AND my acceptance of the fact that I am going to wear the tool out and need to replace parts, faster than the average plastic wunder-gun.

The "secret" is to bite the proverbial bullet and purchase a high quality pistol to start with. 'simple as "good stuff lasts longer than bad stuff".
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I would consider it for hunting if using a 1911. Should work just fine. Interested in a field report.

I'm trying to get the guy to come pick up the ammo (he is in GA), but thus far no joy.

I think the demonstration rounds I made him might have scared him. He doesn't know about reading pressure signs, but he knows one hell of a "BOOM!" when he hears it.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Damn Rumbler you will have him as deaf as I am before he uses up a box of your hog medicine.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

I'll be darned, I guess the load works . . .

I'm told this was two shots at about 10-15 yards. 'said the second shot was panic induced. I can see why.

Damn! now hogs are going to be an endangered species, if they aren't extinct already.........What are you doing shooting them with .45ACP's probably wiped out half the species with two shots

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Try that with a pipsqueak 9 minne mouse and see who gets up on the meat pole.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

The .45ACP is for backup to the long gun. Given the size of the pig and the distance, it is a darned good thing it worked too.

. . not that there was any doubt in my mind it would. I'm told that hog's whole "family" fell dead a half mile away.