Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  139
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Draw and Mag Change Challenge

FLT, that is exactly the same thing I was thinking.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I don't have a problem with finishing poorly. As long as I don't regress. I did worse at this match than in any of my previous (2 other) GSSF matches. I think I've lost whatever little bit of my mind I once had.
    What was the failure point? Identify weaknesses, develop a program to address them, practice the program, rinse, repeat. I wouldn't worry about taking a step back on the third match you've ever shot.

I didn't do any dry fire, but today was the third live-fire day in a row. I identified a big weakness and I've spent the last three weeks shooting basically the same drill over and over and over again. Today is the first day I've seen real progress, and I'll continue to hammer it for probably the next three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    What was the failure point?
    Hitting the target.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Hitting the target.
    Of all the problems, that's actually one of the easiest to fix! It's just boring as crap and no one likes to work on it.

Issue seems to be I was holding the gun too tight with my right hand. At least that is what I've self diagnosed from where my shots went. (Low Left).

Funny thing is, I had problems with only 9mm glocks. I cleared the plate rack in 5.5 seconds with the 21. And I know that's not fast for most but that was for me.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Issue seems to be I was holding the gun too tight with my right hand. At least that is what I've self diagnosed from where my shots went. (Low Left).

Funny thing is, I had problems with only 9mm glocks. I cleared the plate rack in 5.5 seconds with the 21. And I know that's not fast for most but that was for me.
    Low left on a Glock can also be indicative of the finger not being flat enough across the trigger face or (but most likely and) pulling the trigger too fast for the grip you have. Remind me and I'll watch your grip when we shoot at C4.

Don't knock a 5.5 second run. It's damn fast for someone who is trying to break out of the 6's!

NJC, AB, et al.

What do you think of the LaserLyte system (or similar) as an addition to your regimen?

Also, do you think that by racking the slide after every shot you ingrain that and will try to do it under stress?

Dale,

I constantly watch for it and sofar it has not been an issue. However I do not just dryfire on a whim..I have a routine of clearing the pistol or rifle, putting away the ammo, putting on my belt/holster, setting up my target, cheacking the firearm again etc.. that differentiates for me dry fire from everything else. Now can I say it works 100%, well yes up to now. I am very careful about my dry fire and have not racked the chamber on a live round at the range yet.

Now I guess I could drop the $400 for a training pistol or $200 for a resetting trigger but here is my problem with that. I want to practice on the firearm I carry and get used to how it feels and its trigger... for this reason I stay away from training guns.

I have very little experience with the laserlite system but people who have them love them. It is said to be very good for letting you see visually if any part of your technique is in need of work. Again to the best of my knowledge, the slide will still need to be racked each time so that the firing pin can actuate the laser unless you get a training gun, then see my above.

Dale, Dry practice works...I see the results.But it has to be concentrated, focused training on each trigger pull, not just counting off sloppy technique.

Hope this helps !
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Graduate
    I think it is a great tool you would quickly grow out of. If you're paying attention to the front sight as you dry fire, you will know what position it was in when the sear broke. I would try the regular ol' dry fire consistently for a month and if you see no improvement, it might be time to spend the money. The key there is consistently.

If you can't see where the sight was when the sear broke, slow the trigger pull down until you do.

Graduate
    Oh, and I don't think you will start reflexively racking the slide under stress. If you think you might, give it a month or so and at a C4 shoot I will induce some stress and we can see what you do.