Signal 0
Likes Likes:  139
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Draw and Mag Change Challenge

Graduate
    Went out yesterday for live fire (drills involving a lot of short distance sprinting and stopping) and the bear got on me fast. First few runs were decent, but that heat is unrelenting and I was pretty much done in about an hour and a half. I don't help my case by shooting in long sleeves and trousers, but it keeps the sun off of me and somehow it doesn't feel right if I'm completely comfortable on the range.

Graduate
    Completed three live-fire days in a row. Heat kept the round count on the low side (probably 250 per day or so) but it was good to really get into it!

Low round count.

Right !
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

For him that actually is a low round count.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

I agree. Back when I used to be able to shoot ( ), my average was at least 1000 per month, not counting rifle and shotgun.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Yeah. I know what he shoots yearly. But I still chuckle when I hear 750 rounds in a week is low.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

I would be happy shooting 250 a week.

Hmmm. Challenge accepted ;-)

Graduate
    Thanks for the props, guys!

I will say that 250 meaningful rounds a week will take you really far. I strongly believe there will be no "ah-ha!" moments unless you are actually pulling the trigger on live ammo. Dry fire is great and will also take you far, but only so far. Live fire gives your eyes the practice watching things happen from shot to shot. Once you relax your vision enough, you'd be really surprised what you can see in those fast intervals. IMHO, the biggest thing that holds people back is not really having any idea where their sights were at the moment the gun went bang. Once you can keep both eyes open and really watch those sights' position at the moment of detonation, your world will turn.

Yea it appears there are many different ideas about what it means to really focus on the front sight. I think many people just look at it.

I'll be out of pocket for about another two weeks so it will be dry fire for me barring work related incidents. But after that it will be 250 a week until in bankrupt and sleeping on ABs couch.

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    Yea it appears there are many different ideas about what it means to really focus on the front sight. I think many people just look at it.

I'll be out of pocket for about another two weeks so it will be dry fire for me barring work related incidents. But after that it will be 250 a week until in bankrupt and sleeping on ABs couch.
    I agree with what you are saying.

But as a point of information that may be unique to me, I find that when shooting a handgun with both eyes open my point of focus is the target - I want ot know if it moves, and if so in what direction. This causes the handgun sights to appear like a holograph, they "float" in front of my eyes. This is perhaps why I prefer a sight with no bars, dots, squares, or dashes. Just black and bold, with the front sight filling as much of the rear sight as possible.

"Sight alignment" goes like this;

Threat recognized
    Scan field of view for threats "helpers" while drawing
    Bring focus back to primary threat as my handgun approaches arm extension
    front sight: top even with top of rear sight, amount of light visible on both sides of front sight equal
    break the shot
    repeat

Of course, this would be a horrible technique for a bullseye shooter, but I'm not one of those.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.