Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Shooting 400 yards with a red dot.

So my first real test was at the 200 yard range at Talon. I didn't do it prone, too many other shooters and I dislike hot brass down my neck.

From the bench using a sandbag with the red dot and the Matech iron sight I was pretty comparable. My groups were around 10", with most of the spread being windage. I will need to get a spotting scope I can use when prone, or a shooting buddy.

Task is seeming not as hard as I thought, especially if I am shooting for a 18" gong. Of course none of us are sure what Razzman has in mind.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Damn, Dale. You did pretty good.

But I gotta say this . . .

wind at 200 yards on a range protected on three sides? Unless it was gale force . . . . nope. It wasn't wind.

But you still did pretty darned good for a beginner using the wrong optic for precision shooting.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Im not blaming wind, just explaining how the group was shaped, spread horizontally vs vertically. I blame all bad shooting on the operator.
    Last edited by Dale Gribble; November 3rd, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.