Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting 400 yards with a red dot.

Shooting 400 yards with a red dot.

Ok, I've never shot over 100 yards without a magnified optic. The next 3 gun advertises 400 yards.

So I need to increase the velocity of my learning.

My thoughts on what to do..

1. I have a 50/200 yard zero on my Aimpoint. I don't want to change my zero (but I will need to verify it at 200 and re-adjust). So I will need to calculate a hold over for xm193 at 400 yards and learn what that looks like.

Question. What kind of target is optimal for a red dot sight at 200/300 and 400 yards. The targets I usually use with a quarter sized red spot will be useless I would assume because I won't see them.

2. Practice. I need help. I guess I need to practice shooting and getting into the prone quickly. Any drills/suggestions welcomed.

Oh, I just thought of something. I have a Matech BUIS on this rifle. Perhaps I should just set that SOB to 400m and skip the RDS on the long stuff?
    Last edited by Dale Gribble; October 22nd, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Dale, what size is the dot? 1MOA, 2MOA, . . . ?

Even a 1MOA dot at 400 yards is a 4" circle.

A magnified crosshair type optic with a red dot on top of it for near and far, is probably your best "fast fix". And given your time constraints that may be the best solution. It doesn't have to be a night force and an aimpoint, Walmart will do just fine.

With that said . . .

The best way is to learn to use your iron sights as they were intended. But to do that well takes time. Plenty of time. . . . and consistent ammo.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Dale, what size is the dot? 1MOA, 2MOA, . . . ?

Even a 1MOA dot at 400 yards is a 4" circle.

The best way is to learn to use your iron sights as they were intended. But to do that well takes time. Plenty of time. . . . and consistent ammo.
    Aimpoint Pro, 2MOA.

I don't think Razman will have us shooting for 2" groups at 400 yards at a 3 gun. I doubt it will be the small poppers he has had us shoot at 200 yards either (but I could be wrong).

Regardless, I prefer to run in a class that doesn't allow magnified optics. So it will be Matech or Aimpoint.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Amateur tip: If the dot covers the target and you can't see it, the dot is too bright.

I like to use the irons for those ranges though.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Amateur tip: If the dot covers the target and you can't see it, the dot is too bright.

I like to use the irons for those ranges though.

I'm aware of that tip. However another one I read was zero (at 200 yards in my case) with the top of the dot, at a given brightness.

2MOA x 400 yards = 8" dot.

. . . you know that, right. I'm thinking that trying to drive a nail with a handsaw is probably not the best approach. Of course, I often find myself to be the only one with my opinion, so . . . . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

2MOA x 400 yards = 8" dot.

. . . you know that, right. I'm thinking that trying to drive a nail with a handsaw is probably not the best approach. Of course, I often find myself to be the only one with my opinion, so . . . . .

Again, its for 3 gun. Rules are what they are.

Everyone else in the same class will have the same handicap.

I see your point. Games have rules.

. . . I forget that easily for some reason . . .

. . . I forget that easily for some reason . . .
    Because you are as stubborn as a Missouri mule?

Life has rules too. If for some reason a poodle shooter with a red dot is all I have to make a 400yard shot with when the fecal matter hits the rotary impeller, I aught to be prepared to use it. I know that marines and other folks in the .mil group can, so I expect I should be able to almost as well with proper training and practice.

Life only has one rule when you are shooting at a humanoid target.

And I never said or implied you could not hit "it". But you sure won't be able to pick nose or chin.

You nailed that "stubborn" part.