Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting 400 yards with a red dot.

Here is a video I found that finally answers one of my biggest questions.

What to use for a target. (2:10)

When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Tack 'ol buddy if you are talking about "combat zero" that is 25 meters and 300 meters. I use it for my poodle shooter and with M855 it is right on the dot.

I know that you are smart enough to figure this out on your own but I jumped on one of the free online conversion calculators:

25m = 27yd 1.0210ft

-or-

82.021 feet.
    ..........and 274.32 meters.

25/300meter is 36/300 yard. Since we are in America..................
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

He is using metric bullets, silly.

well, you know; unless he wusses out and uses .223.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Dale,
    Obviously you are seeing that you are pushing the envelope with this optic. This would be where a short dot or an acog would shine.

I have shot out past 200 with a 4 minute Aimpoint. It can be done, and consistantly on a steel IPSC target. here is what I did.

Dot brightness, way down...reduces glare on the dot, makes it seem smaller.
    Decent ammo will give better results. Silver Bear may not get as many hits as q3131a
    Good shooting position.. prone would be best, or off a bench ??

Most important... HAVE DONE IT BEFORE...IF you pop your cherry with this at the match... well you get what you get...You are not exactly light afoot.. so practice getting into and out of prone..find where your natural point of aim is , so you know where you want to be. After you have shot it a while and get used to the hold over, it should be no big deal to hit the steel... now we are talking hitting the steel... if you are looking for sub moa or anything... good luck.

Hope this helps....
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

I'm telling you, fuck the dot. At 400, I'm on the irons.

But, with low brightness, knowing your drop, and understanding the center of dot is all that counts and you can do it.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

NJC, thanks. That is my plan, and kinda why I posted this thread.

Last night I practiced getting prone with my AR.
    I also put grease pencil on the feed lips of one of my pmags that I will use for prone mono podding and made sure that even with lots of pressure on it the bolt doesn't rub the feed lips. Some folks believe that the FTF's when using the mag as a monopod are caused by stacked tolerances that allow the mag to contact the bolt.

Hopefully I will be able to throw the 22lr bolt in the gun this weekend and spend a little time on the ground actually shooting at some steel. Next will be a trip to Talon in the next week or so.

I know I can change my equipment and do this more easily, but that isn't the point. The AR platform is more than capable of hitting man sized targets beyond 400 yards using rack guns and milspec ammo.. I just need to learn how to do it.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post

But, with low brightness, knowing your drop, and understanding the center of dot is all that counts and you can do it.
    I am going to try using the Matech as well. It won't matter if I use dot or irons, almost 100% of the technique is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I am going to try using the Matech as well. It won't matter if I use dot or irons, almost 100% of the technique is the same.

I agree with you, Dale.

The only part that is different is the part that is required to make the hits go where you intend them to.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    I agree with you, Dale.

The only part that is different is the part that is required to make the hits go where you intend them to.
    Uhh? The only part that I would think is different is hold over vs not. I assume that's what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post

Tack, Yes, given the opportunity I would prefer the irons at that distance too..and in this situation he would definitely have time to do it. However I think Dale asked about a red dot at 400. All things being equal, if you actually have to shoot at 400, thas what scope guns are for.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."