Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting 400 yards with a red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    But you sure won't be able to pick nose or chin.
    Dude, I don't pick anyone's nose.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Might consider it, it may lead to untold fame.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    We need a nomination for nose picker award>
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Ok, I've never shot over 100 yards without a magnified optic. The next 3 gun advertises 400 yards.

So I need to increase the velocity of my learning.

My thoughts on what to do..

1. I have a 50/200 yard zero on my Aimpoint. I don't want to change my zero (but I will need to verify it at 200 and re-adjust). So I will need to calculate a hold over for xm193 at 400 yards and learn what that looks like.

Question. What kind of target is optimal for a red dot sight at 200/300 and 400 yards. The targets I usually use with a quarter sized red spot will be useless I would assume because I won't see them.

2. Practice. I need help. I guess I need to practice shooting and getting into the prone quickly. Any drills/suggestions welcomed.

Oh, I just thought of something. I have a Matech BUIS on this rifle. Perhaps I should just set that SOB to 400m and skip the RDS on the long stuff?

I have shot man sized steel painted white at 350yards with an Eotech and it was hard as hell. 200yards is easy for me to hit with BC zone sized steel but past that I really need magnification to be effective. If you can't get magnification then do the best you can. Who knows you might do pretty good.

I have been thinking about this as well. My conclusion: hopefully Razz picks a large steel target.
    ------ For the ordinary person, everything is either a blessing or a curse. For the warrior, there are only challenges.--------

------Boat ramps and gun ranges can be some of the best places to see the depth of human stupidity------

------ "It doesn't matter.......it is AK......" AKOUL4774------

I hope so too. But hope doesn't lead to shit.

So far it looks like prone using the magazine as a monopod is the best method for shooting this.

For zeroing the scope at 200 or more yards, I am wondering what the best target to use is. I'm thinking a black circle about 1 or 2 MOA bigger than what the dot will appear as would work. But I really have no idea.

Anyone?
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Dale, I've recently switched to the 36/300 yard zero. You might want to look at it.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Dale, I've recently switched to the 36/300 yard zero. You might want to look at it.
    I've thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post

Tack 'ol buddy if you are talking about "combat zero" that is 25 meters and 300 meters. I use it for my poodle shooter and with M855 it is right on the dot.

I know that you are smart enough to figure this out on your own but I jumped on one of the free online conversion calculators:

25m = 27yd 1.0210ft

-or-

82.021 feet.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.