Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning media for your brass

Sophomore

Cleaning media for your brass

So it's time for more/new media for the tumbler. I've heard several people post that they are buying media at Harbor Freight. Anybody care to chime in and tell me what they think?

I like corn media, so I can polish up the brass and make it shiny again. I need about 5lbs or so. I usually get it with a bottle of polish or case lube from the nice folks at Dillon. But if I can save a buck or two and get it locally then I'm game.

Whatcha think?

Coach.

Graduate
    Unknown, but I looked into it a while back and discovered a few things. I will admit I have no experience with any of this, so it is merely the result of my research when I was looking for cheaper alternatives.

Make sure you get the right grit. Too small and it's like sand, too big and it won't get into the case rims and such. I use 10/14, but I have reports the 14/20 is excellent. Also, I have heard not all corn cob media is equal. Some, like that ground specifically for tumbling/blasting media, is only made with the woody part of the cob, and some, like that made for pet applications, use the whole cob and is very gummy, which will clog up. Just know what you're buying.

If you work for a company that has an account with them (they don't deal with the general public), check Grainger's out by TCC. They probably won't have it in stock, but they are friendly and can order it in.

I doubt I would order from here because the price of shipping would be brutal, but there is some good information and the sizing chart at the bottom is useful:

http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/CC.html

Of course, if you really want clean brass, you have to go stainless steel. It gets it so clean I can actually feel the difference during reloading! The SS cleaned brass is much slicker in the sizing die, to the point it feels like I've added a coat of case lube. I just wish it didn't take so much time.

I get it at Grainger. By the 40 pound bag, which is one heck of a lot of media. Cost about $30.00.

For "polish" I add a little Nu-Finish once a year car polish. No ammonia or any of that case harming nastiness and makes the brass look like it is made of gold.

OH! And AB (and everyone) the last time I was in there, about a month ago, they said that THAT STORE had begun selling to the public.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    Good to know!

Mike, when you use Nu-Finish, do you just pour it into the media and let it tumble for a while before throwing in the brass? I use an additive (can't remember the name, I just call it Shiny Juice) that is used like that but it is more liquid than Nu-Finish. Nu-Finish is a bit thicker, but still lighter than 95% of other car polishes. Seems like it would mix well.
    ------ For the ordinary person, everything is either a blessing or a curse. For the warrior, there are only challenges.--------

------Boat ramps and gun ranges can be some of the best places to see the depth of human stupidity------

------ "It doesn't matter.......it is AK......" AKOUL4774------

I make a mixture of mineral spirits and nu finish (about 1-5). Then drizzle some into a running tumbler of walnut for about 5-10 minutes. Gets it real clean.
    Putting the Harm in Pharmacist

I do. It does take a few minutes to "disperse" the clumps formed by trickling it in. But on the plus side for me at least it seems to have a pretty good residual quality. As you can probably imagine I tumble a heck of a lot of brass. Unless the brass is particularly dirty - in which case I'll dump in an extra ounce or so - I usually don't add more until I have tumbled several thousand cases, or my normal tumbling time (2-4 hours) does not result in "like new gold" appearance.

With this said . . . I like SB's suggestion. As I understand Nu-Finish is 100% synthetic so I can't see how a little mineral spirits could actually harm the chemical and if it makes it disperse faster . . . sounds like a win/win to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_McNasty View Post
    Mike, when you use Nu-Finish, do you just pour it into the media and let it tumble for a while before throwing in the brass? I use an additive (can't remember the name, I just call it Shiny Juice) that is used like that but it is more liquid than Nu-Finish. Nu-Finish is a bit thicker, but still lighter than 95% of other car polishes. Seems like it would mix well.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I run the brass through two tumblers, first is walnut with no additive, seconds is corn with Franklin Arsenal polish juice..

Of course the .50BMG cases need a lot more time than the rest.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato

Sophomore
    Where's the Grainger store?

Graduate
    "Behind" TCC.