Signal 0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead Subsonic Bullets for 300 AAC BLK

ok

I just ordered up 250 245 grain, 250 115 grain, and a 100 sample pack of assorted. All with the Hi-Tek 2 Extreme coating. The following is from their FAQ section:

What are your coated bullets?
    We start with our own lead cast bullets. Then we treat them with the Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating from J&M Specialized Products P/L. The Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating is a lubricant that is bonded to the bullets by heat curing. Lead fouling and smoke from wax lube are non-existant due to this coating process. We selected the Hi-Tek 2-Extreme process because it produces a very durable and smooth finish with superb lubricity.

On a related note, the 115 grain are intended for the M1 Carbine. I looked up the muzzle velocity for this cartridge and it is listed at 2000 fps. I assume these guys would not list this bullet for use in the M1 Carbine if leading was a problem at that velocity.

I agree completely.

So far the fastest BLK load I have made was right at 2450-2475 and that dang sure was not a 245gr bullet. Even I am not that . . . . curious.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

what weight?

I'd have to look at my records to be certain but I am 99.9% it is BOTH the 110gr Barnex TAC-X and the 130gr barrier bullets.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I wonder if this magic coating will allow for a new high in the fps category as lead usually is faster than jacketed?

My experimenting in that area has been limited to the 9MM pistol.

But beyond any doubt I can run coated lead fast enough to make plated bullets fly apart before arriving at the target. Even at 10 yards or less.

It is a different coating;" gator snot". But I believe it is proof of concept indeed.

. . . . oh, and I'll be more than happy to push some of those bullets you ordered to their limits to find out.

I am thinking this might just get me back out to Talon.

115 grains at 2450 equals around 1500 ftlbs

not bad for a poodle shooter or a single shot in my case

This is from the Hodgdon site for a 115 grain (I assume jacketed)

I am thinking this must be getting close to a full case.

Hodgdon Powder H110
    Bullet Diameter .308"
    C.O.L. 2.050"
    Starting Load
    Grains 18.8
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,220
    Pressure 39,300 CUP
    Maximum Load
    Grains 20.0
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,348
    Pressure 50,800 CUP

Mike - you ever play with H110 with the light bullets in this caliber?

Note - 20% increase in pressure with a 5% increase in powder between starting and max.

Also on another note - heaviest bullet they show is 230.