Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Loading 5.56 for short barrel

/ inego montoya/

I dont think that means what you think it means

/inego montoya/
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Quarterback reference, then?

i was unavailable, out of town.

but out of pocket goes much better with us operators ;-)
    Last edited by NJC; July 10th, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Name:  101129-tactical-facepalm.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  67.1 KB

NJC let me know how that recipe turns out I got 1700 of those 75grs that need to be loaded up

hope to know here in the next month or so.. will keep you posted.

Loaded up a few mags of the 75gr last night used CFE 223
    Max load was 25gr with a 75gr vld bullet at 2.25. I went ahead and bumped the charge to 25.5gr as I have gone higher with the 77gr smk before, threw a light crimp on them and painted the tips with black nail polish to tell the difference between the 75s and my m193. Ilk try and touch a few off and see how they do

'probably don't need to tell you to be damned careful. That VLD sticks way down inside the case to get a C.O.A.L. of 2.25.

I won't pretend that a compressed charge is 'death waiting to happen', hell I load a lot of compressed charges. But once you get to that powder touching the bullet point even as little as 1/10gr can make a disproportionately big difference in pressure. Ultra consistent charge weight measurement needs to be the rule of the day.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Im running these in a 16" and honestly I dont really need the extra 1/2 gr but im in the go big or go home mindset and Ive used a heavier charge with the 77smk which are slightly longer so I feel safe with the load but I know pushing past max 223 loads things can escalete quickly. I want to duplicate the tap 5.56 load rather than the weak .223 tap which from what ive seen is down 150~fps from the 5.56

I don't know much about reloading, (I've read a lymans manual from 92, and a hood bit of the materials available here and there) but that sounds scary as Fuck from everything I've read. I think I'd have to back that shoot down a notch and work my way up to what was comfortable/effective in my gun.