Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR500 Steel. Some lessons learned.

Quote Originally Posted by CRD508 View Post
    Very interesting Mike. I wonder what effect it would have on gold?

Looks like Rumbler has become the range alchemist.

Rumbler, when you say penetrator rounds, are you talking about the 62 grain rounds like M855?

Because I very frequently have to repair it after an assortment of morons shoot the hell out of it with steel core or "penetrator" ammo.
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBronco View Post
    Rumbler, when you say penetrator rounds, are you talking about the 62 grain rounds like M855?
    He's talking about ANYTHING THAT STICKS TO A MAGNET.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Bingo.

There is a frangible bullet made of powdered metal pressed (100 tons) into a bullet shape. But that stuff is $1.00 per shot bought in bulk so I'm thinking the likelihood of non governmental agency personnel using it to plink at steel is pretty slim . . . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    You've got skills, Rumbler.

The Force is strong with this one...
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFingergasm View Post
    He's talking about ANYTHING THAT STICKS TO A MAGNET.
    I got that from the "steel core" part. When I see "penetrator" used, I think of M855 because of the different design to the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39. I know it will go through steel helmets, but wasn't sure how it would actually do against AR500 at 100 to 200 yards.

Here it is at 15 yards.

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

BB, imagine that 200-1000 times per day.

AND bear in mind that because of bullet flight angle at 100, 200 or whatever, the actual penetrative potential is increased.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    BB, imagine that 200-1000 times per day.

AND bear in mind that because of bullet flight angle at 100, 200 or whatever, the actual penetrative potential is increased.
    Rumbler, I understand about the repeated hits the targets take. I was more interested in the protection factor of these me materials used in personal protection. If someone gets hit in the chest plate 200 to 1000 times, they are having a very bad day.

Regarding the targets, I am surprised that that many people are sneaking in M855 and other steel containing ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBronco View Post
    Regarding the targets, I am surprised that that many people are sneaking in M855 and other steel containing ammo.
    Doesn't take many people. Just a few with a lot of ammo.

With that said, ask any of "the regulars" the 100 & 200 yard ranges get a TON of use. They are almost always busy.