Signal 0
Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holster discussion

Holster discussion

So lets talk holsters. I'm in the market so to speak.

First of all this is for my warbelt, only used for gun games, C4, my private property, or in the case of zombie out break/open hostility.

Retention? Drop?

Guns in holster with be Glock 17 and 21. I will probably buy for the 21 and the 17 will not be used with it for anything real.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

As I said in the other thread I love my SERPA, but don't buy one....... you'll shoot yourself....assuming you can ever get your gun out.

Saved y'all the trouble

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Dale, it is certainly going to need some kind of retention.

Otherwise it is going to fall out when you take off running because the zombies are closing in on you, and you are carrying a 9mm. And well, lets be realistic, the same scenario could play out if you run across a pissed off squirrel in your yard.

Only slightly more seriously . . .

Drop holster - the purpose is to keep the pistol readily accessible while carrying a battle rifle and wearing body armor. Drop holsters - that I am aware of - all feature some form of active retention.

Gun games - high on the belt line, grip of the pistol is held out away from the body, "retention" is also important but not as . . . robust, as one would want in a less controlled type environment.

Your private property - depends on what you are doing. That is one of the few (in my opinion) places the $8.00 Uncle Mikes nylon holster with a velcro strap type holster is applicable and appropriate - in most cases. Now if you are doing tree work for instance, climbing 60-80 feet to top a tree . . . that $8.00 holster may not be the right choice . . . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    What kind of pistol do you run again?

Glock 21 is in Rumber approved 45ACP.

I want one holster. I have a simple belt rig already. I don't do gun games to win gun games (if you watched me, it would be very clear that no one is in danger of being beaten by me), I do them to work out with the gun in a stress induced environment.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Without a light, there are tons of options; Safariland, G-Code, BladeTech, 5.11 Thumbdrive, etc.

I went with a Safariland, and with a drop mount. I am 100% sold on the drop belt holster over a thigh rig or standard belt holster. As you can see in the thread below, I first went with a drop mount with a leg strap over a drop leg rig. I have since ditched the strap all together since is isn't needed if your belt is worth a shit.

http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com...ght=safariland

Because I have a light mounted, my needs were a little different.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

I THINK the price stopped me from going with the G-Code, and 5.11 didn't make a light bearing thumb drive.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Glock 21 is in Rumber approved 45ACP
    If it was in the smaller frame Glocks I would have an entire box of holsters you could test. If you don't mind downgrading caliber, get up with me and I'll provide a Glock 22 and a ton of holsters you can try.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    If it was in the smaller frame Glocks I would have an entire box of holsters you could test. If you don't mind downgrading caliber, get up with me and I'll provide a Glock 22 and a ton of holsters you can try.
    I have a 17 and a 26.

Graduate
    The 17 and the 22 have the same frame, so I'll bring out the box o' holsters next C4 shoot. Maybe get there early or something.