Signal 0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .308 Load Data

Quote Originally Posted by Airgator0470 View Post
    The cannelure is worthless if you're not going to crimp... you should see some of my 6.5 CM loads using the 120gr SST... the cannelure sits WELL ABOVE the case mouth... no issues at all.

By the way, WTF is a CANELATURE?... lol

Yup. You should see some of my blackout ammo. If I seated the bullets to the cannelure I'd have to make the cases longer to hold any powder.

By the way, CANELATURE is what someone who is language impaired calls a cannelure.

P.S. I always crimp. It is "free" pressure. . . . well you know; unless you get too much of it. Then it is really really expensive pressure.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Someone may want to reread the Range Rules. Brass and ammo not yours is the property of the range. Could you imagine the chaos and lawlessness if everyone picked up brass???

:-)
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Graduate
    Yes indeed . But a loaded round is not brass. Just saying----and shit.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

As far as I am concerned a loaded round "left" on the ground is an accident waiting to happen.

Last thing you need is to have some 308 roll off the table and pick up one of Rumblers fire breathing reloads and run it thru some ww2, or earlier, rechamered 308 military rifle.

The results could be, spectacular to say the least.

If I find rounds in a box, they go to the office.

One on the ground is a different thing.
    "Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it"

Mark Twain

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

John Steinbeck

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    I personally do not crimp my bullets for my riflerounds as I only load for my bolt actions.My pistol ammo yes,i have found no problems doing this over the last 50+ yrs of reloading.If I was loading for a semi auto iwould definitely crimp.AS for the cannelure,I measure the chamber a determine my bullet seating depth,the cannelure falls were it may seating depth controls an extremely lot of accuracy potential in given carts.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Johnny you nailed it in terms of the chamber determining the seating the depth for best accuracy.

And bolt gun ammo fed one round at a time certainly do not need a crimp. However, by carefully trimming case length and crimping (then checking concentricity!) it does introduce a level of consistency not available with no crimp because of the variances in case neck thickness. And we all know that consistency equals accuracy.

Yes, that certainly does mean trimming the case neck thickness can achieve the same consistency.

But if you do that, you don't get that couple of extra FPS over the chronograph.

Oh, to toot my own horn AND demonstrate the consistency I speak of . . . look at the velocity deviation here:

3093 (duplicate)

FIVE feet per second between the fastest and the slowest. Consistency. I just love that stuff.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    I do trim case necks,i do not feed one at atime as my mags are loaded in my firearm while hunting.I also neck size for my bolt guns.But to each his own what works for may not work for you.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

.308 Winchester

47.5gr Hodgdon H322
    110gr Nosler Varmageddon bullet
    Winchester large rifle primers
    once fired, match prepped FGMM brass
    2.760 C.O.A.L.
    Medium crimp.

3325 FPS.