Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 Load Data

.308 Load Data

I have a BUNCH of .308 load data. Maybe getting started with this will motivate me to compile it.

Lets start with . . .

49.0 Varget
    130gr barrier bullet (look at the 300 BLK thread for a description)
    Winchester Large Rifle Primer (WLRP)
    2.697 C.O.A.L.
    Tight crimp (Lee factory crimp die)

I have not had the opportunity yet to chronograph this load. But based on my cyphering it should be running in the neighborhood of 3600-3700FPS. It does not show overpressure in once fired nickel brass.

As always: You are just plain insane if you use my data without starting well below it and working up from there in small increments.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Darn. I forgot about this.

Anyway . . . I worked up a new recipe today. These 130gr "barrier" bullets . . . don't seem to be (actually) available outside mil and leo circles, but I'm betting just about any "standard shape" flat based canelatured bullet is going to load pretty close to the same. In fact I used data for a HDY 130gr SP FB bullet as a starting point. Then worked the COAL and charge until I got what I wanted. Hodgdon's data said they should be running ~3089 FPS.

51.2gr BL-C(2)
    130gr "barrier" bullet
    Winchester large rifle primers
    once fired, match prepped FGMM brass
    2.688 C.O.A.L.

Chronographed four rounds:

3093 (duplicate)

I threw the first shot low and right about 1/2 inch, but the next three overlapped each other at 100 yards. Easily under 1 MOA.

Remmy 700P, 24" tube.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Interesting
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Try my load for the 130b grn Barnes tipped triple shock,52.o grns of varget ,velo.3159ft per second.Death hell and destruction on whitetails and hogs.Using kimber montanna308.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Thanks Johnny. I will !!

Kind of OT but I found this reloaded 308 round under the table in lane 12 at talon a few weeks ago.

Case was trimmed and de-burred bullet looks like a Corelocked Remington. Possibly pull marks on it. Case is FC.

And little to no crimp.

Anyone recognize this?

Name:  IMAG0041.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  14.3 KB
    "Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it"

Mark Twain

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

John Steinbeck

Not I.

But it sure looks like whoever loaded it needs to read up on the purpose of the canelature.

. . . or maybe they trimmed the case too short and had to have the bullet stick out that far to make 2.800 . . . . who knows. Folks do some crazy stuff . . .

Maybe they were of the mind that "more bullet in the rifling is better", like .040!
    "Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it"

Mark Twain

John Steinbeck

I'm just going to pull it and recycle.

Mark Twain

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Not I.

But it sure looks like whoever loaded it needs to read up on the purpose of the canelature.

. . . or maybe they trimmed the case too short and had to have the bullet stick out that far to make 2.800 . . . . who knows. Folks do some crazy stuff . . .
    The cannelure is worthless if you're not going to crimp... you should see some of my 6.5 CM loads using the 120gr SST... the cannelure sits WELL ABOVE the case mouth... no issues at all.

By the way, WTF is a CANELATURE?... lol
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.