Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol Powders, what do you use?

Damn. A lot of variation.

Thanks.

Question, do you think the 231/hp38 is a good powder for 9mm and an ok powder for 45acp or should I look to something else? I don't really have room or patience for testing 100 powders to get the ultimate accuracy, I just need reliable and reasonably accurate.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Yes. No.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Graduate
    Dale in these days of short supply most of us will use what we can find. I would have to use a good pistol rest too see any deference in accuracy with any of the normally used powders and even then it wouldn't be a big deference . I recently ran across a supply of IMR 700X so that's my powder of choice at the moment .
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    Dale in these days of short supply most of us will use what we can find.
    I'm using what I found. I am putting in back-orders for 16 lbs of what I want. I'm tired of fucking around.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Accurate Arms #5
    Hodgdon HS-6
    Hi-Scor 700-x
    Hi-Scor 800-x
    Universal
    Clays
    Universal Clays

LongShot

. . and several others. I'm not a powder snob.

I chose which powder to use in what based primarily on bullet weight and case volume.
    Lest you forget... I've also noted you talking about choosing a particular powder for certain uses because of its low muzzle flash.

But you just managed to put a sandspur in my Army boots... As far as I can tell there is no Universal separate/distinct/different from Universal Clays. Clays, just plain ol' Clays is a thing in and of itself. But even Hogdon seems to sometimes call Universal Clays, just Universal... leaving off the Clays. This causes almost as much cognitive dissonance with me as there being Hogdon (H) and IMR (IMR) variants of several powders with the same numbers and the twain not coming up at the same place on the burn rate chart as well as having different min & max loads. This hand loading stuff is not only not for sissies, it's not for the dyslexic nor for blasé or the easily confused. For something that should be so clear and simple, the people who name the powders damn sure don't cut us any slack!!!

Now, I am... am I or not... correct about Universal and Universal Clays being one and the same thing? If I'm not I sure have squandered a lot of obsessive double-checking.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Graduate
    WS,
    See the last post in this thread for a powder equivalent chart compiled from msds sheets..
    Uncle nick is someone I listen to over there.
    There are 3 diffrent adi powders listed for the clays types..
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546066

Woops. I mistyped. It should have said "Unique".
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    WS,
    See the last post in this thread for a powder equivalent chart compiled from msds sheets..
    Uncle nick is someone I listen to over there.
    There are 3 diffrent adi powders listed for the clays types..
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546066
    Yeah, International Clays... BUT... I was trying to reduce a redundancy, not add another complication. And I read what Rumbler said... he MEANT Unique, not Universal. In the powder cabinets, it seems like the guys slinging the names are just egging us on to make "misteaks". Universal and Unique aren't much alike under strict scrutiny, but like a lot of powder names, when you are rummaging around in the back rooms of the mind... they are really more similar than it seems to me that they SHOULD be. Not that the NAMES even have to be similar for them to get mentally confuted. To ME, Unique and Bullseye tend to want to blend together in my thinking... NOT because their names are similar, but because to me they both fall in a category of "stinky old powders I don't want to use unless I really, really, have to". They have been around almost forever, so I guess I could just put them in a "been around almost forever" category, but either way so far as I'm concerned they are the same thing, like Wisconsin and Michigan.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Sophomore
    I've used Accurate #2 and Titegroup and about to test out some Solo 1000.

Coach.

Graduate
    I'm getting on in years and I admit I tend to fall back on Unique and Bullseye because they've been around a long time and I am comfortable with them. I started using Titegroup on someone's recommendation and I've been happy with it (except for the temperature sensitivity) for the better part of 10 years now for my .40's.

One day when we are actually able to get powder reliably again I will look forward to experimenting with some new loadings.