Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school me on stainless pin cleaning for brass

Graduate

school me on stainless pin cleaning for brass

Some of these crimped primers are tough on decap pins, or manage to push the primer out but get stuck in a dirty flashhole. I am thinking a thumblers model b, 5 lbs stainless pins, lemishine, and a little dawn soap would stop this if they were decapped using a universal decap die...

Anyone been down this road before?

If so do the pins go through the flashhole and clean it good?
    Any diffrences between the thumblers tumbler and the extreme tumbler, besises. Obvious bearings, tub construction..
    Extreme..
    http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.co...-rebel-17.html
    Thumblers b
    http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.co...igh-speed.html

Any issues with air drying?
    Or other things to know about before thinking harder about it?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.

My thoughts... cleaning the brass won't do anything for easing the primer crimp... the crimp is there plain and simple. Nor will it (cleaning with SS pins) do anything for the size of the flash hole... the flash/burn from the primer ignition is not as such it is fouling the flash hole significantly enough to cause these problems. If your decapping pins are getting stick in the flash hole, see about using smaller/different pins.

I can't recall the last time I had stick pins in flash holes but I've heard about it.

I use RCBS pins and load WCC (both NATO and non-NATO marked), LC (both NATO and non-NATO marked), Rem, Federal, Hornady, Winchester, Speer, IMI, and others with NO stuck pin issues.

I don't think wet tumbling is worth the time nor the mess. 2 hours in my Hornady vibratory case cleaner gives excellent "new" looking results.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

Check with AB, pretty sure he uses one of these.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

I have a Thumblers Model B.... have used it for damn near 40 years or so it seems... I'm 52 now and I remember my brother using it to polish rocks when we were kids. Only things replaced were the inner lining and the drive belts.

In reality... what do you want? Clean brass or Bling-bling brass?

Graduate
    In reality, just looking to avoid bending the internal sizing rod on my full length die
    Decap pins, well they are expendable....

Outside cleaning is fine with walnut it does not need any cleaner...

If a benefit is a cleaner inside of the case, clean flash holes, and clean primer pockets, that's fine but not my real objective here.

I will change from sizing and decapping with my good die and start separately with a decap die that uses cheaper expendable parts.

What brass are you using where you get these problems? What brand/type die? You should not be having this issue...

Graduate
    No issues with lc, federal, rem.winchester
    Guess I need to stick to those.

Dies are redding full length, cases are lubed with imperial wax

This was a mixed lot of brass, not separated out by headstamps like I did before.
    Lesson learned.

Graduate
    Stainless steel pin tumbling gives the best cleaning results. If the brass is decapped, it will clean out the primer pockets and flash holes.

I don't think it will solve the problem you describe, though. It is a heck of a process and requires drying time so it's not for every day. I usually put brass I have just picked up through the stainless steel tumbler for the first clean and then use walnut or corncob afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Stainless steel pin tumbling gives the best cleaning results. If the brass is decapped, it will clean out the primer pockets and flash holes.

I don't think it will solve the problem you describe, though. It is a heck of a process and requires drying time so it's not for every day. I usually put brass I have just picked up through the stainless steel tumbler for the first clean and then use walnut or corncob afterwards.
    I wondered where my range brass was going . . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Permaban in 3.....2...

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture