Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuck Drama, Come Watch My Movie and Talk Gun Shit!

CCGF Driving Instructor TargetShooting's Avatar

Fuck Drama, Come Watch My Movie and Talk Gun Shit!

yeah I know, Tommy Bahama. Too bad I don't have a truck to haul my white couch to Talon.

BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

David, I noticed that the 1911 is the only gun you shot that you did not change your grip at all on while in the process of doing the mag dumps. You came close witht he Beretta, but it did shift a little.

The Glock . . . your thumbs went crazy. I thought they were going to tie themselves in a knott. When you let your thumbs cross like that it creates space between the pistol and your hand making it more difficult to control and all together just adding difficulty keeping the gun on target from shot to shot.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    David, I noticed that the 1911 is the only gun you shot that you did not change your grip at all on while in the process of doing the mag dumps. You came close witht he Beretta, but it did shift a little.

The Glock . . . your thumbs went crazy. I thought they were going to tie themselves in a knott. When you let your thumbs cross like that it creates space between the pistol and your hand making it more difficult to control and all together just adding difficulty keeping the gun on target from shot to shot.
    I know. I have been struggling with Glock
    BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

Nice vid TS.

Just a couple observations...

You need to get up on the balls of your feet and lean into the gun more. You're letting the recoil push you back.

Watch the second Glock clip. When you change your stance during the second mag it shows ALOT. Watch your back in relation to the legs on the pole barn. Every shot in that mag pushed you back. By the last round you were standing over center backwards.

Also, watch the slide on that gold 1911. You are breaking your wrist down with about 50% of the shots (or in that case, FTF's). Looks like you’re anticipating the recoil, and maybe jerking on the trigger a bit...

ETA: I'm no expert, so if I'm seeing it wrong someone tell me, but that's how it looked to me...
    Sent from an Altoids Tin via Morse Code

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Craw is right. You guys just can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    "take my eyes, but not the shirt."
    Fine with that.

When I smile you ain't see my eyes. TS 1, Jafar 0
    BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

1. Buy "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" by Brian Enos and read it.
    2. Your upper body is still rocking with recoil and you tend to stand up straighter the more you shoot which is aggravating the problem.
    3. Cam your left wrist down until it locks. You have a bounce after your recoil, locking out your tendons will help eliminate that.
    4. Twist your elbows out until they lock. This will tighten the top of your grip.
    5. Try squaring your feet up to the target. This will keep your torso straight with your hips and balance out your abs. Additionally, it will give your more range of motion to the targets to the left.
    6. Watch Dave M. at the next match. Most people are now teaching to keep arms straight but very few of them would argue with Dave's results.
    7. Crunches and Planks. Tune up your core.

With the exception of 1 and 6, all of this to "tighten up and stabilize your bipod" to put it into rifle terms.

Supporting Member
    Assuming you really did want some input and with a humble and friendly tone:

I think we've all skipped some more important points/questions.

First- what exactly was the point of the session? It looked to me like a bunch of un-aimed mag dumps. What did the targets look like? Did you have a plan for the session? what did you hope to get out of it?

You might benefit from some drills or a plan before going to the range. Check out Mike Seeklander's series of drills and books. Also consider drills like Dot Torture, FAST, Bill Drill, El Presidente, steel plate rack, etc. and use a timer.

Second- IMHO you need to pick a platform (Glock, 1911, etc.) and focus on it until you feel very comfortable. Shooting so many guns is counter productive to anything other than just dicking around and having fun... which is totally fine if that's the goal.

Finally, you need some 1-on-1 time with a good instructor (that is, someone proficient at analyzing fundamentals and communicating ideas to a student) who can tune you up as far as fundamentals. You never had a stable shooting platform, you certainly weren't using the sights to drive your shooting and you were just burning money doing bad reps.

Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

*BTW- I need to take my own advice for a lot of this, so please don't take this to be preachy or condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by Frady View Post
    My swim coach used to say that. Drove me nuts then, but I use it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frady View Post
    Assuming you really did want some input and with a humble and friendly tone:

I think we've all skipped some more important points/questions.

First- what exactly was the point of the session? It looked to me like a bunch of un-aimed mag dumps. What did the targets look like? Did you have a plan for the session? what did you hope to get out of it?

You might benefit from some drills or a plan before going to the range. Check out Mike Seeklander's series of drills and books. Also consider drills like Dot Torture, FAST, Bill Drill, El Presidente, steel plate rack, etc. and use a timer.

Second- IMHO you need to pick a platform (Glock, 1911, etc.) and focus on it until you feel very comfortable. Shooting so many guns is counter productive to anything other than just dicking around and having fun... which is totally fine if that's the goal.

Finally, you need some 1-on-1 time with a good instructor (that is, someone proficient at analyzing fundamentals and communicating ideas to a student) who can tune you up as far as fundamentals. You never had a stable shooting platform, you certainly weren't using the sights to drive your shooting and you were just burning money doing bad reps.

*BTW- I need to take my own advice for a lot of this, so please don't take this to be preachy or condescending.
    At this point be honest I have no clue what I want getting out of each shooting session. Most of the times Bob and I were just plinking for fun, sending lead into Talon's berm, and celebrate after each bulls eye hit.

What I want? I only know I want to shoot Accurately and Fast. At least more accurate and faster than average potential "encounters".

Where to start? What to start? I have no clue what the fundamental is.

Unlike precision shooting at least I have had several lessons so I know what the basics are. But with handgun...I really don't know.
    BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

Train with a purpose, something I am trying to do more of.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?