Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cold Bore Shots and Other Disturbing Trends

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cold Bore Shots and Other Disturbing Trends

The video trainer is up and running at Talon. Still trying to figure out how to run it - but it works.

I got my ass handed to me by a bunch of video squirrels yesterday.

That experience drove home something I have been aware of but have failed to put sufficient energy (DEDICATION) into fixing.

"Warming up". "inaccurate 'cold bore' shots".

What I mean is this . . .

With a handgun I definitely warm up. I get better (faster/more accurate/more fluid) as I shoot.

With a rifle I am close with that first shot but I can not accurately predict EXACTLY where it will go.

I see one hell of a problem with that. Don't you? . . . . . . . . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I know you'll say "COME OUT AND SEE!" but can you tell us what the name of this video system is? Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
    I know you'll say "COME OUT AND SEE!" but can you tell us what the name of this video system is? Sounds interesting.

I'll be happy to. I got to name it!

"Son of a BITCH!"

Or: "you SOB" for short.

Honest I was so busy having fun (and getting my butt kicked by squirrels) yesterday I forgot to look.

But I do know you guys will be proud of me for this:

The first hostage drill I shot, I got the hostage twice in the nose and once right in the middle of the forehead.

. . ain't going to be any testimony to be concerned about from them!
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

All things can be improved with training.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?

Shoot the hostage!

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

What can I say. They moved. I didn't tell them to do that.

Paper targets don't move!

That is actually Keenunu Reeves from the first Speed movie

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

The ecxpert from a boom that I posted about navy seal snipers training includes a bit on a cold bore exercise they did every morning. It is most sensible.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Cold shooter or cold bore? They're not one in the same. If you develop a routine say, getting behind the scope and just breathing, close eyes, open eyes, check for natural POI and that's being repeated with each cycle, then drying firing using the same principles and you feel effectively warmed up proceed to taking your shot. Now, if you track your first one or two shots over several sessions you'll see a pattern develop most likely.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFingergasm View Post
    Cold shooter or cold bore? They're not one in the same. If you develop a routine say, getting behind the scope and just breathing, close eyes, open eyes, check for natural POI and that's being repeated with each cycle, then drying firing using the same principles and you feel effectively warmed up proceed to taking your shot. Now, if you track your first one or two shots over several sessions you'll see a pattern develop most likely.
    Most excellent post Yankeeson....

That's exactly what we do at some of our training sessions at work (dry fire prior to live fire).

While firing a cold bore shot quickly under stress is ALSO a big part of our training, lots can be accomplished with dry fire exercises as you described.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.