Signal 0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cold Bore Shots and Other Disturbing Trends

CCGF Driving Instructor TargetShooting's Avatar
    I wish I have a 50 x 1000 sq yards property outside the city limit.
    BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

I'm using the Remington 700P in .308. http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm

it is a heavy barrel. Whole dang rifle is heavy!

Load is once fired FGMM brass, Winchester primers, 168gr Sierra Matchking bullets, over 43.2gr of IMR 4064. COAL is 2.877.

Once the barrel is warm, this rifle/load will shoot clover leaves - or better - at 200 yards all day long.

Let me see if I can find some .224 match quality bullets. If I can pull together match level ammo for that gun, I would love to do a comparison test. Heck, I would also like to get my hands on another Remmy 700 heavy barrel to test also.

. . . I guess my next obsession is going to be exploring cold bore variations. I'm bad that way, as you know.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by TargetShooting View Post
    I wish I have a 50 x 1000 sq yards property outside the city limit.

You are about to. A little birdy told me I am going to start doing some serious dirt relocation in the immediate future. We took delivery of 2500 cubic yards of very clean clay/sand fill about a week ago. It hasn't rained (substantially) in the last few days. Put those two together and a good road bed is not far away.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

CCGF Driving Instructor TargetShooting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    You are about to. A little birdy told me I am going to start doing some serious dirt relocation in the immediate future. We took delivery of 2500 cubic yards of very clean clay/sand fill about a week ago. It hasn't rained (substantially) in the last few days. Put those two together and a good road bed is not far away.
    Good news. Can't wait for talon's 400 yard.
    BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

You and me both, David.

Don't forget if you have not done it yet to get that qualifier target on file at the pro shop so that when the road out there gets done you won't have to worry about taking care of that first.

Three shots only on the paper. Inside a three inch circle. At 200 yards. Witnessed by a Talon pro shop employee.

The 400 yard range will be unsupervised, so we need to be able to prove the folks going out there are capable of hitting the targets.

The plot thickens . . . . .

Today I recreated 'the test'. Maybe I should say that I duplicated 'the test'.

Because you see, the rounds I fired today I overlaid on the rounds I fired yesterday. Of course, I used two separate targets.

So I set the holes in todays target on top of the holes in yesterdays target. I shit you not; the holes matched up so close that if they were different my eyeballs couldn't see the difference. Not even with my reading glasses on. Neither could two other guys I showed this to.

I shit you not. Not even a little bit.

If this happens again tomorrow I am going to cross "shooter error/inconsistency" off the list of potential causes. Definitively.

I am a witness. He cut them out and over laid them to a perfect match. My have to try my FP10 to duplicate. Good info Rumbler!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    The plot thickens . . . . .

Today I recreated 'the test'. Maybe I should say that I duplicated 'the test'.

Because you see, the rounds I fired today I overlaid on the rounds I fired yesterday. Of course, I used two separate targets.

So I set the holes in todays target on top of the holes in yesterdays target. I shit you not; the holes matched up so close that if they were different my eyeballs couldn't see the difference. Not even with my reading glasses on. Neither could two other guys I showed this to.

I shit you not. Not even a little bit.

If this happens again tomorrow I am going to cross "shooter error/inconsistency" off the list of potential causes. Definitively.
    Honestly I just think you're finding out how your rifle performs before warming up. I say try it one more time and you have your answer. Maybe one more time with holdover and see if it's dead nuts on. Then you'll know your holdover for cold bore shots and adjust accordingly after it warms up.

I had plans of doing this same thing today until I pulled a TS and left the 308 at the house. I gotta quit hanging out with that guy.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

I would for sure believe in that rifle's consistent cold bore and follow up shots. I have a Browning 7mm Mag that will shoot the same dead center bulls eye at 200yd with the 1st cold bore shot. The 2nd round will ALWAYS be 2" to the right. Third shot is 3" to the right. Much like yours Rumbler. Very weird. But consistent. It has done this since 1994 when I bought it.
    Last edited by Evil_McNasty; February 19th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
    ------ For the ordinary person, everything is either a blessing or a curse. For the warrior, there are only challenges.--------

------Boat ramps and gun ranges can be some of the best places to see the depth of human stupidity------

------ "It doesn't matter.......it is AK......" AKOUL4774------

Stresses in the steel barrel as it heats up? I assume everything is free floated and bedded on a Rumber Rifle.

I remember reading a story about first shot flyers written by someone shooting 22lr, and after months what he found was a small ring of carbon would form during shooting just in front of the bullet's nose in the chamber. After one shot it was warm and somewhat flexible, but on the first shot it was hard.

So perhaps once you have determined it is the rifle (and it sounds like it is) you could try a cold bore shot on a clean bore and chamber. Its a lot of work and not something I (or I'll bet you) normally do (clean a bore that is still accurate), but it might provide a new data point and or obsession.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.