Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout Load Data

Smile .300 AAC Blackout Load Data

I have been doing some load development this week and have come up with a couple of notable loads in my opinion.

As always DO NOT consider these loads safe in your gun. Work up to these in the case of Supersonic velocities, and work down to them in subsonic velocities. Remember that a load below "manufacturers listed minimums" can be every bit as dangerous as loading beyond "manufacturers listed maximums".

The gun is a 16" AR platform. Standard buffer, carbine length gas system. The barrel is a CMMG heavy barrel in stainless steel with a 1:7 twist.

----------------------------
    9.4gr Hodgdon H110
    Winchester small rifle primers
    208gr Hornady A-Max
    2.260 COAL

----------------------------

16.2 Hodgdon H110
    150gr Sierra Game King
    2.140 COAL

---------------------------

I have other loads, just gotta find the notes. Will add to this as I do. I have some 230gr, 168gr, 130gr data that will knock your socks off. Too.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

You have a shiney rifle barrel?
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

Uuuuum, yeah.

But I do carry a couple of different colors of drab paint in my big red range bag. Including flat black!
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Being a total newbie to reloading, I know nothing...on the lighter loads, subsonic, how much of the case is "empty" if there is less powder inside? If a case has a void in it, and the round lays on it's side with the powder sloshed up toward the front of the round, is there a risk of power not being ignited? I always wondered that. Most every factory load I ever took apart was full to the brim with powder.

Graduate
    The small capacity of the 300BLK is ideal for subsonic loads that is in fact one of the primary reasons it was developed. The loads that Rumbler list for the 208 grain subsonic load fills the case about half full and doesn't create a problem . The danger as he stated is that if you start at to low of a charge there is a danger of having a bullet get stuck in the barrel that is why you start a little high and work your way down to subsonic .
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

FLT is right.

But there is more to it than that. Depending on the load, bullet weight, and powder used, the subsonic .300 Blackout generated between 35,000 - 40,000 PSI of pressure.

Ain't no barrel going to stand that outside a ballistics testing lab where the barrel is 8" in diameter with a .308 hole through the center of it.

So . . . time in the bore, and gas expansion rate also comes into play. In the case of ALL the things we think of as modern firearms a great deal of science is put into the speed of gas expansion versus barrel length.

You can see this in action in any gun that shoots a ball of fire out the end when discharged. THAT is like smoking your tires at the drag strip; it looks cool, but it is actually not what you want because it is non, or even counter productive. That ball of fire is powder being burned AFTER the bullet has left the barrel.

Anyway, back on track . . . the problem with "below minimum loads" can be that the pressure spikes too soon. Before the container (the space behind the bullet to the back of the cartridge case) is large enough to accommodate it without catastrophic failure.

Remember that pressure/volume relationships are inversely proportional, and that resistance to flow is what causes pressure. The farther down the barrel the bullet gets the more pressure there can be without 'blowing up' the person or the gun.

It gets pretty scientific, right up until you 'go to far' then it simply gets really painful . . . or not.

18.2gr Hodgdon H110
    125gr Hornady SST
    2.091 COAL (crimp to canelature)

This is JD's hog busting load. He says "they don't take a step, they just roll over dead".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graduate
    Rumbler are you using cases formed from 5.56 brass for these loads?
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Yes. 100%

All NATO brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Yes. 100%

All NATO brass.
    I did all the brass conversion for them. I knew it would not be long before mike went over to the black side
    Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."