Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45ACP Load

.45ACP Load

I'm putting this here not because I want you to try this load. But because when I researched it I found very little data on it, and what I did find just didn't make sense to me.

250gr. Missouri hardcast "pin busters". Round nose flat point bullets with a Brinell number of 18.
    6.7gr of AA#5 = 925FPS. Seriously . . . .
    Large primer once fired nickel plated brass cases (Speer)
    COAL was set at the top of the made in crimp groove on the projectiles.

I put an 18.5 pound recoil spring in the gun, deeming it absolutely necessary around 5.0gr of AA#5 based on slide velocity and spent cases winding up somewhere probably in Southern Alabama.

- - Backstory - -

Removed on the advice of someone far smarter than me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Crono data?

Low was 912
    High was 933

I called it 925 FPS.

BTW - AA#5 flows through the charging system like a dream. A lot like H110 - very fine grain powder.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I see like, dislike, but no "scared of"
    Putting the Harm in Pharmacist

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I see like, dislike, but no "scared of"
    Good. If I understand what you are saying.

It is like any other "high end" load; work up carefully, and pay close attention to pressure signs.

My first reaction when I heard ~950 with a 250gr bullet from a 5" 1911 was "even by my standards that is just plain crazy!" The development taught me differently.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Damn Rumbler are you trying to quarter that hog out as you kill him with that load.Probably will have porkchops as well.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Johnny it is certainly well into the .45 long colt territory.

if I was a piggy and someone shot me with one of those cartridges I'd consider subdividing into pork chops myself, just to keep from getting shot again.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Wonder how long that .45 can stand that kind of load.Remember the 10mm colt an all of the penning that went with it?
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

I sure don't think it would be a good idea to shoot that kind of load regularly. I think that I could guarantee peening over time, if not outright cracks in the frame.

From my experience the heavy lead and plated bullets are pretty forgiving with slower powders pressure wise, I know 1911s dont last long when you start pushing them with stuff a lot hotter than 230 over 950fps but is it the recoil or the pressure that causes the damage. I know the spring weight changes the way you feel the recoil but technically with the forces involved the spring is mainly there to have enough ass to return the slide to battery after stripping a fresh round out of the mag. It seems like the biggest force would be the pressure on the slide between the bolt face and the locking lugs.