Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout Load Data

The honest no-bs answer to what it costs is: it depends.

I'd have to say that the price of bullets are the biggest variable. But that variable can be huge. Just a few days ago I paid $54.00 for fifty bullets. On the same day I paid $63.00 for 100. Last week, 1000 bullets for $150.00.

See what I mean?

It may be more illustrative for you to know that on average, a box of 300 BLK that sits on the shelf at $35.00 can be made identically for about ten to fifteen bucks. And the ammo you make, can easily be more consistent (consistency = accuracy).

Presses and peripheral equipment is also a variable, but the closer you can narrow down what you want to do - or not do - the more those variables can be narrowed down in terms of cost.

I know that this is no small task in itself, but if there is some time/day you can catch me sitting still with enough time to go over to the reloading room with you, I can show you basic to exotic and explain the differences to you. JD & Charlie have blessed me with an amazing facility to make/reload ammunition and given me the run of it.

I think that you'd be silly not to take advantage of seeing /fondling the equipment before you start making decisions regarding what to buy or not buy.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    The honest no-bs answer to what it costs is: it depends.

I'd have to say that the price of bullets are the biggest variable. But that variable can be huge. Just a few days ago I paid $54.00 for fifty bullets. On the same day I paid $63.00 for 100. Last week, 1000 bullets for $150.00.

See what I mean?

It may be more illustrative for you to know that on average, a box of 300 BLK that sits on the shelf at $35.00 can be made identically for about ten to fifteen bucks. And the ammo you make, can easily be more consistent (consistency = accuracy).

Presses and peripheral equipment is also a variable, but the closer you can narrow down what you want to do - or not do - the more those variables can be narrowed down in terms of cost.

I know that this is no small task in itself, but if there is some time/day you can catch me sitting still with enough time to go over to the reloading room with you, I can show you basic to exotic and explain the differences to you. JD & Charlie have blessed me with an amazing facility to make/reload ammunition and given me the run of it.

I think that you'd be silly not to take advantage of seeing /fondling the equipment before you start making decisions regarding what to buy or not buy.
    I'm in. I'll holler at you next time I head to the range.

10-4.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    Any more load data?
    I need to search for some for 147-150 gr ball..
    But if you have tried any that would be great..
    I found this....
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=42&t=414655

But I like to check multiple sources..
    Last edited by mapper; October 19th, 2014 at 12:03 AM.

Graduate
    Hornady 9th edition. Accurate 1680 powder 15.4 grains 1500 fps. Starting load -- 22 grains 2050 fps. max load this is for a 150/155 grain bullet. Sierra manual A5744 powder 17.8 grains 1862 Fps. starting load--19.8 grains 2073 fps. max load also for 150 /155 grain bullet.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Check here. It is kinda the mother lode:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=81567

LOTS of loads for 150 . . . . and all the rest for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Any more load data?
    I need to search for some for 147-150 gr ball..
    But if you have tried any that would be great..
    I found this....
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=42&t=414655

But I like to check multiple sources..

FYI: The 9th Edition of the Hornady reloading manual has some errata with the .300 BLK COL:

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/9thEdErrata.pdf

Graduate
    Thank you.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Check here. It is kinda the mother lode:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=81567

LOTS of loads for 150 . . . . and all the rest for that matter.
    Damn . Mike I believe they have tried every combination of powder and bullet known to man. It's as you said the mother lode.

Agreed. I have gotten some great guidance from that data.