Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout Load Data

Right now I am working on some loads that exceed 3,000 fps with no pressure signs
    Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

I wanna do that. With a 230gr bullet.

And yes for sure, Marcus's brass is as good or better than any factory brass I have worked with. Because I tend to push the limits little stuff like overall case length is a critical dimension. It is also a good indicator of the quality of work put into the brass because that is a very easy place to get lazy.

Thus far, and I have loaded hundreds at this point, I have yet to have to reject or rework a single case because of an OCL issue.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

230 gr bullet for a super? Wow! My only advice for that is to switc to a different powder other than h110. I would try lil gun because it is a little more forgiving when it comes to maxing out a load to try even push that heavy ass bullet for a supersonic
    Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

Graduate
    A supersonic load for the Sierra 220 grain MKHP is 15.6 grains of AA1680 with a 7 1/2 Remington primer loaded in A Remington 300BLK case to a over all length of 2.190 . A 16 1/2 inch barrel S&W AR 15 was used to record A average velocity of 1520fps. A Oehler 35P chronograph was used to record these velocities . The the air tempature was 70 degrees at the time they were recorded . This load was safe in the rifle used for these test there were no FTF or FTE the bolt locked open on the last shot. As always use at your own risk . Start at 10% under listed maximum load and work up.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Got this load proofed just the other day.

10.9gr of AA1680
    230gr Berger Hybrid bullet
    WSR primer
    2.238 C.O.A.L.

Hits like a sledgehammer at 100 yards.

Apparently my blackout is breaking in nicely. Carbine gas system on a 16" 1:7 barrel. No suppressor, but this load functions flawlessly. Feeds, extracts, locks the bolt back.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

19.1gr Lil Gun
    130gr "barrier" bullet*
    Winchester Small Rifle Primer (WSRP)
    NATO Brass
    Medium crimp (Lee factory crimp die)
    2.038 C.O.A.L.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19.1 Lil Gun
    110gr Nosler Varmageddon bullet
    NATO Brass
    WSRP
    Medium Crimp
    2.025 C.O.A.L.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

* - Pulled carefully from MK319 Barrier Ammo. The best description of this bullet would be a "two bullets in one projectile" The front is an OTM, jacketed. The back is a solid copper 'slug'.

A couple of days ago JD (using my blackout) shot a full grown male hog right through it's armor. Entry and exit holes. Pig hit the deck, twitched a little, and expired. This bullet is no joke!

I just ran across this link that I had saved. I shows the cross sections of a lot of various rifle and pistol ammunition.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Amm...m#9x18_Makarov

Thought some of you would find it useful also.

Latest . . .

20.2gr of H110
    110gr Barnes TAC-TX
    #400 CCI SRP
    2.240 C.O.A.L.

The Barns data said this should run 2415FPS out of a 16" barrel. The problem - in my view - is that their recommended C.O.A.L. was 2.250 . . . or just exactly enough to touch front and rear of my USGI magazines. They would fit, but there was absolutely zero "wiggle room". SO . . . . I shortened them .010, dropped off .3 of powder and started working back up from there.

Where I ended is above. Chronograph said:

I can live with that. For now . . .

Honest no BS question, assuming one had brass, what does it cost to get setup to reload, and then what does it cost per round to reload the 300 BLK?

I need a complete idiots guide to reloading setups, tools, extras, etc.