Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talon Berms a vegetation question.

Talon Berms a vegetation question.

When the berms went in they were teeming with green growth that I presume was for erosion mitigation. Is that stuff dormant for winter and do you expect it to re-sprout in spring?

I'm more curious about the type of grass that was growing. That kind of thing interest me...call me strange.

Quote Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
    ...call me strange.
    Strange.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Ryegrass.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

Exactly. Bob nailed it.

There was also some bahia grass. But we seeded with ryegrass.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

It must be very speed and lead tolerant

:-)
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    It must be very speed and lead tolerant

:-)
    Actually it's a new meth resistant strain.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

So they will green up again?

Quote Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
    So they will green up again?
    They dang well better. We put down a couple of thousand dollars worth of seed.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Rumbler, if I may. I think when it was built it was seeded with brown top millet and Bahia grass, both summer grasses. The brown top establishes quickly, but dies in the fall, and has to be replanted the next year. That's what you saw. The Bahia can take the first growing season to germinate and sprout. Bahia should be more obvious the second growing season and get thicker with each growing season.

Ryegrass is a cool season annual, planted in the fall. It is what you see that is green around town now.

Yes, for sure browntop was put down also. We did it to help mitigate berm erosion. Once we bought up all the "in stock" brown top we started mixing it with bahiah. THEN we put down the rye.

Why, I am not exactly sure. Perhaps an effort to 'green up' the berms once the brown top started turning . . brown?

What I know for sure is that we spent a LOT of time and seed either riding around on that tractor with the spreader running or dodging bullets while walking the berm tops with a hand spreader.

I just can't wait for mowing season to start. I have the feeling we are going to need some goats.