Signal 0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a timeline for 400 yard opening at Talon?

CCGF Driving Instructor TargetShooting's Avatar

Is there a timeline for 400 yard opening at Talon?

Can't wait.

I can donate one day of labor per week. Let me know if you need me.

Heavy equipment was moved in last week that will be used for, in addition to other things, building a (raised?) road that does not get swallowed by swamp facilitating access - the range already exists.

-However-

It should be noted by all that this will NOT be a 'free for all' range. You skill set at longer range precision rifle will be established and demonstrated prior to being granted access OR you will be accompanied by a Talon approved instructor (at your expense) on a one-on-one basis.

This is not gospel handed down by the owners of Talon Range, LLC.

This is the gospel handed down by the Rangemaster charged with the day to day safe operation of the range as well as assuring the safety of the people on, and downrange of, the facility. In other words: Me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcwelder View Post
    I have a suggestion for this. You remember the Trailer for Wakulla 300 yard?
    Get some 2 ft culverts, maybe 10 ft. Set one up at bench height the other for prone / sitting with dirt piled up so you shoot through the pipe with berm around it. just have to build a wall or something to keep the dirt from falling back. I saw a range like this. Had a very small safety danger area diagram. Was for a National Guard unit for Qualifications. Worked beautifully, and cheaper than building a berm with size enough for the requirements. I am Planning something like that for the grand kids at my range at home.

Were this bore size limited that sounds like it could be workable. But imagine a .50BMG, .338, or .408 being fired in that tube. Especially with a muzzle brake on it. The pressure wave inside the tube could pop eyeballs out.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Molary I like your way of thinking. Make sure they're zeroed correctly etc. I know when we used the LR at Otter Creek we had to show targets before allowed to the 300 yard trailer.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Arc, we had thick wooden railroad cross ties on the ground of the 100/200 yard range. Had a high wall built too up near the head of the range to keep people from even being able to see over the top of the 200 yard berm - much less aim a shot. And some person still managed to shoot so short SEVERAL TIMES they were bouncing bullets into and over the top of the berm at 200.

"Just when you think that you have made something idiot proof, along comes a bigger idiot."

Quote Originally Posted by molary View Post
    Arc, we had thick wooden railroad cross ties on the ground of the 100/200 yard range. Had a high wall built too up near the head of the range to keep people from even being able to see over the top of the 200 yard berm - much less aim a shot. And some person still managed to shoot so short SEVERAL TIMES they were bouncing bullets into and over the top of the berm at 200.

"Just when you think that you have made something idiot proof, along comes a bigger idiot."
    What? Give me a month, just a month!!!

After 6 month I might getting calls from Agencies to help out...let's see

Quote Originally Posted by TargetShooting View Post
    After 6 month I might getting calls from Agencies to help out...let's see

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Graduate
    People who design things that are fool proof fail to take into mind the Ingenuity of fools .
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Nothing is foolproof, fools are to creative.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture