Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FOR SALE: Russian Sniper Items

^^^^^ Sage marketing advice there.
    5G Motorola Razr

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    Winter Soldier, Eastern Cemetery in Quincy has a fenced in Old Soldier area. Best I recall from the big green historical monument sign, they are mostly unmarked graves from those who died during and after the civil war. I have grandparents and infant aunt and uncle buried just to the east of it.

I'll reread the sign next time I'm there. In the mean time, what do you know about it? I seem to remember you posting about it once before.

Edit: Found the sign online

Attachment 18578
    I've contributed to the fund for restoring that cemetery for many years, and a key part of how it now looks (the actual historical preservation part) came out of my brain. One of my uncles was PROBABLY buried there. With unmarked graves you can never be absolutely certain, plus he was from Andersonville and two of his brothers were with him in the same unit at Quincy. It is not impossible that he was carried home for burial (this is particularly true since his death was never properly reported through channels and the Second Auditor in Richmond refused to pay the widow)... or that he was buried elsewhere for some reason or another... but the scan made of the burials made there strongly suggests that all of the graves were dug at very nearly the same time. There is at least one veteran buried inside near the fence on its eastern side and I believe that a couple more are buried just outside to the north; but the main grouping near the center of the fenced area seems to be all wartime. But that doesn't account for anything like nearly all of the wartime burials of Confederate soldiers in Gadsden County. I believe it is quite likely that many of them were buried near a HQ that was established at a road junction well back from the gun positions on the Apalachicola, to be a central point from which to dispatch mobile forces if there ever was a Union incursion mounted by road up from the coast. There have been many wrong interpretations of the facts that put that HQ on the river... but it just was NOT there. Dale Cox believed that the site was probably located at one point in time quite awhile ago, and the site he mentioned seemed about right, but until it is properly archeologically explored I'm not saying anything about its probable location.

That possible site is near the Liberty County line but not right at it. There is another possibility too, not in Gadsden but Liberty or Calhoun. Originally the first Confederate riverine defenses were set up near Ft. Gadsden/Forbes Island... and one of the former Indian trading posts of Panton Leslie & Co [later known as Forbes & Co.], and the British fort built during the War of 1812 [Ft. Woodbine] and later called the Negro Fort. There were so very many illnesses and deaths among the defenders there, that location was abandoned and the batteries were moved upriver to the location that is now Torreya State Park, etc.
    Last edited by WinterSoldier; June 1st, 2021 at 07:11 PM.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    Winter Soldier, Eastern Cemetery in Quincy has a fenced in Old Soldier area. Best I recall from the big green historical monument sign, they are mostly unmarked graves from those who died during and after the civil war. I have grandparents and infant aunt and uncle buried just to the east of it.

I'll reread the sign next time I'm there. In the mean time, what do you know about it? I seem to remember you posting about it once before.

Edit: Found the sign online

Attachment 18578
    P.S. I have a photo somewhere of my father (T-5 corporal, 396th Medical Collecting Company... France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany 1944-1945) sitting on the brick wall around a plot just across from the gate to Soldiers Cemetery from back before the restoration work started, probably 25 years ago. However, the uncle who is probably buried there was a relative of my mother.)

W.S. Just for your knowledge. I once heard Dale Cox give a discussion, at the restored powder magazine in Chattahoochee, that was totally off base. When he finished I told the other side, the correct side. He backed completely down and basically said that his opinion was just what he assumed or thought and I sounded correct and was probably right.

If I hadn't been there 30 people would have left ill informed, because he sounded so knowledgeable and convincing in his talk.

Kinda has made me question several things I've heard/read since then.
    5G Motorola Razr

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    I guilty too. I will not do it anymore.

The weird one was the kid that snapped when I fat fingered a dislike. That was weird.

I became sensitive to it when I was trying to move an 8500$ item...and I got dudes talking about it being full of ejaculate. I ain't gonna lose no friends over it...we cool..but come on. Someone who doesn't know the inside jokes doesn't want a perv semen rv.
    It was very tough not to add to that thread. I'd say I showed great restraint to be a good friend. But when Harley said the drawer was glued shut, I spit out sweet tea and giggle like a kid...

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    W/S it took one hundred and fifty years for my family to find out what happened to my two great,great.great uncles during the civil war.My 2nd cousin found them buried at gettsburg.They died in Picketts charge.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by 12bhunting View Post
    It was very tough not to add to that thread. I'd say I showed great restraint to be a good friend. But when Harley said the drawer was glued shut, I spit out sweet tea and giggle like a kid...
    I did try to keep the reference subtle but I should have known subtlety has no place here, I apologize....that shit was still funny, but I do apologize.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Measure the tins, I might have boxes that will fit leftover now that I sold my 5.45 on gunbroker for way too much money.
    I appreciate that but I just scored a cardboard box from amazon that will work for the entire crate (just as a wrapper, basically). I've never shipped anything that heavy AND I've never shipped ammo, and I and really dread carrying that damn crate out to UPS or Fedex and getting sent back to regroup because I didn't do something right. (Come to think of it I just threw some cardboard boxes with the new style shipping symbols for ammo and flamables in the recycling bin 5 minutes ago and I had better pull them out and cut some markings off so I can tape them on the box if I do ship the stuff). I COULD cut the weight considerably by ditching the wooden crate, but I really think that anyone who forks out $1,600 or so for a crate of commie ammo ought to get the wooden crate too... AND THAT IS WEIGHT THAT IS GOING TO HURT THE HELL OUT OF MY BACK... but, I can see that coming... and no, I don't want someone to carry it for me.

I'll probably put the ammo and scope on gunbroker tonight, or maybe on that auction site that the NRA is in cahoots with... I never could remember its name anyway, and now they have changed the name... so I REALLY don't remenber it now. I really, really don't like gunbroker, but I have had an account there for many years and have bought like maybe 5 things... mostly antiques (real antiques, not fictitous Chinese antiques) and miscellaneous junkers. I've never sold anything on gunbroker and really don't want to. But I can't think of any other PRACTICAL use for the 7N1 since I sold the PSL.

7N1, BTW raildriver, is NOT Mosin Nagant ammo. It's for the scoped designated marksman AKs of various designations: Dragunov, PSL, etc. Sure, you can fire it in a Mosin Nagant and I hear it improves the accuracy of a GOOD Mosin Nagant. It isn't going to do anything useful for a crappy one. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I have some very accurate Mosins, including some Finnish rebuilds that have never been fired as far as can be told, except if they were fired at the factory (which... knowing the fastidious accuratizing work of the Finns, they undoubtably were).
    Last edited by WinterSoldier; June 1st, 2021 at 10:34 PM.

When I've shipped ammo at UPS, I just tell them it is ammo and they put the markings on it themselves. That's all really. You can call ahead of time to see.

Talk to your favorite LGS. Ask them if they will ship it if you bring it boxed. Pay them for it and everyone is happy.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.