Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FOR SALE: Russian Sniper Items

Just the downtown cemetery off of Mt Luther King Blvd with the civil war graves from both sides throughout it.

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Driver View Post
    It's long been my opinion that if you find yourself attempting to justify pricing on something, you're probably not within reason. *shrug*
    I have not attempted to "justify" anything. I just disclosed how I set the price... and BTW, have you ever seen *ME* lower a price once I set it? Keep watching. I'll never say never. But I will say that it's fairly unlikely, under currently prevailing conditions. I'm just not a particularly "motivated" seller, and I also know that I can get more than what I'm asking for here not just at gunbroker but in several other national venues. I bought most of what I have in a national level market and if that's what I need to do I can sell it the same way. I've been trying to, among other things, allow access to some my "stuff" locally at discounted prices, but it's getting tiresome to be berated about prices. The "normal" reaction to a price that one thinks is too high, is to not buy. You act like you are "negotiating" for somebody, if not yourself then for some poor straw man who might or might not exist. The thing is though, if that's what you are doing, good luck with that. I'm not a "wheeler dealer" and I don't negotiate, either when buying or selling. I've never haggled a single price down, ever, and I'm not haggling in the other direction now, either. If that means I don't sell whatever it is, so be it. I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Driver View Post
    Gunbroker has never been a very realistic or reliable source for pricing - it's full of idiots who overspend on things that don't really meet the value.
    Gunbroker is what it is. Everyone who knows anything knows that is one of the places you can sell at top dollar, and that it's also a place where you can be screwed royally by less than completely ethical sellers. I haven't got any more time to waste on you or your opinion which is of no interest whatsoever to me. As far as I can tell you have no interest in 7N1 whatsoever... just in hardtiming me over something you don't know much about and isn't really any of your business. You have also repetitively expressed your low opinion of Mosin Nagants. I'm fine with that. It just demonstrates your ignorance.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

When did it become OK again...to blatantly shit on sales threads. We have always had scope creep but tearing apart a sale is bullshit.

Winter soldiers for sale thread should be left alone. Now mosin's.......... Hehe
    Last edited by Dirty Sanchez; June 1st, 2021 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makarovman View Post
    Just the downtown cemetery off of Mt Luther King Blvd with the civil war graves from both sides throughout it.
    That is Bolivar Street, named after Simon Bolivar, and later corrupted into Boulevard Street... and still later MOSTLY re-named after you know who. I believe that the city missed a block or two of it near FAMU with the re-naming.

That is two DIFFERENT cemeteries, one belonging to the City of Tallahasseee and dating back to the yellow fever epidemic of the 1840s, and the other belonging to the St. Johns Episcopal Church. Napoleonic Prince Achilles Murat, is buried in the St. Johns cemetery.

There are NO marked wartime Civil War graves of Union soldiers in either of them. The Confederate section contains a mixture of wartime burials and post-war interments.

The Union section contains ONLY post-war, Reconstruction era, marked graves, of soldiers of the 7th U.S. Infantry.

What isn't marked, is hard to say. Absence of information is not information of absence. There are records that suggest that the committee of local women who marked the Confederate graves forwarded what information they had about unmarked Union graves to federal authorities asking that they be marked, but that the government was not interested. Among other things, at that time, it was the policy of the United States government, not to mark graves of Black Union soldiers. However, to the best of my knowledge, the specific information sent to the government then, no longer exists. There is not a lot of evidence that I'm aware of that any Black Union soldiers were ever interred there. About a month before the end of the war, three Confederate deserters captured trying to burn the Aucilla River railroad bridge to prevent reinforcements from Madison Florida, reinforcing forces around Tallahassee during the Union attack in the St. Marks area, were marched from the old railroad depot, up the hill to the south, and and executed by firing squad. They were then currently serving with the 2d Florida Cavalry, Union. But, one of them had sent a number of saucy letters to Florida governor John Milton before he joined the Union unit, that really ticked off Milton, and Milton made good and sure that they were executed, before he went home and "accidentally" killed himself. The overall commander of the firing squad was Major Robert H. Gamble, and the execution took place on his plantation, which is now more or less the FAMU campus... and the execution probably happened slightly east of Gamble's home near the very central area of that campus. So far as I am aware none of those soldiers was Black, and they are the most likely known Union soldiers to have been buried in the Old Tallahassee City Cemetery, but so far as I am aware there is no specific record of where they were buried. The commander of the Second Florida Cavalry, Union, Major Weeks, settled in Tallahassee after the war, and owned the Knott House, where the Emanicpation Proclamation was read in May 1865, but he didn't like the controversial soldier executed by Gamble any more than Governor Milton had, and in fact had "busted" him from captain to private, something so irregular it only gives evidence of what kind of people both of them were. So far as I know, Weeks never wrote a word about the whole episode. At least Gamble later described the execution in a faux 3rd person letter to the Tallahassee Democrat.

However, I will say this rather definitively... the Confederate grave markers were made long after the war at a time when the unmarked graves were still visible, however, a study of the dates of death suggests that the gravestones including those with specific names on them were just "artfully distributed" and do not mark the exact interment site of any particular inividual. Some of the individuals named on those stones also have marked grave sites elsewhere, and I think it most likely they are actually buried elsewhere. One of those named on those markers, was a distant cousin of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    When did it become OK again...to blatantly shit on sales threads. We have always had scope creep but tearing apart a sale is bullshit.

Winter soldiers for sale thread should be left alone. Now mosin's.......... Hehe
    "There is no such thing as bad publicity." ~ Phineas T. Barnum

Besides, I have little hope that anyone wants the 7N1. As I said, I just don't want to have to do what it takes to ship it. If someone *does* want it though, this is an excellent opportunity to get it at a much better price than on gunbroker.

In the meantme, the more the knuckleheads carp about the price, or about Mosin Nagants, the more free bumps I get.
    Last edited by WinterSoldier; June 1st, 2021 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    You act like you are "negotiating" for somebody, if not yourself then for some poor straw man who might or might not exist.
    Gunbroker is what it is. Everyone who knows anything knows that is one of the places you can sell at top dollar, and that it's also a place where you can be screwed royally by less than completely ethical sellers. I haven't got any more time to waste on you or your opinion which is of no interest whatsoever to me. As far as I can tell you have no interest in 7N1 whatsoever... just in hardtiming me over something you don't know much about and isn't really any of your business. You have also repetitively expressed your low opinion of Mosin Nagants. I'm fine with that. It just demonstrates your ignorance.
    Are you fucking retarded or something? LOL

If not that- are you drunk at 6am already? I mean... based on your behavior I wouldn't be surprised, but you really should dial it back.

And yes - your price is still bullshit. (But the scope is priced great). btw, I love mosins and have owned dozens of them - so you've tossed out an outright lie on that note - be honest with yourself and with others. Don't lie. You're old enough to know better.
    Survival comes first, truth, understanding, and science later. (Taleb)

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Name:  FB_IMG_1622077211637.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  5.1 KB)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post

I've had threads shit on here in the past few months by regulars so I figured it was just how y'all ran shit here now. Like attracts like.
    Survival comes first, truth, understanding, and science later. (Taleb)

That's cool about the civil war history here. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea about any of that. What a weird city.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    "There is no such thing as bad publicity." ~ Phineas T. Barnum

Besides, I have little hope that anyone wants the 7N1. As I said, I just don't want to have to do what it takes to ship it. If someone *does* want it though, this is an excellent opportunity to get it at a much better price than on gunbroker.

In the meantme, the more the knuckleheads carp about the price, or about Mosin Nagants, the more free bumps I get.
    Measure the tins, I might have boxes that will fit leftover now that I sold my 5.45 on gunbroker for way too much money.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.