Signal 0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS little dandy or other small-charge measures

RCBS little dandy or other small-charge measures

I've been looking into an RCBS little-dandy for dispensing very small powder charges consistently, for small pistol cartridges. I don't totally trust my uniflow, and if I have to weigh every single charge anyway, it seems to defeat the purpose of using the measure at all.

The little dandy has fixed interchangeable rotors that each correspond to a specific amount for a given powder. Like an advanced (and more expensive) version of the Lee Dippers.

does anyone have any experience with he little-dandy or other measure/dispensers that are consistent with very small charges of 1-3 grains?

Graduate
    Yes, after I develop a load it’s what I use . If there isn’t a rotor for the exact charge I want then I customize one by drilling it out till I get exactly what I want. If you go this route be sure to check the weight when you change powder lots , as there can be some variations from lot to lot.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    An old Belding & Mull can be set for any amount. I've used one for years... but then I also mostly go ahead and weigh it too. Wonder why my hand loads are always more accurate than commercial loads...?
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Interesting... There used to always be a handful of old Belding & Mull Visible Powder Measures on eBay but there's nary a one today. I found ONE on gunbroker, and it seemed a bit pricey to me: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900019992 I have maybe 8 or 10 or 12 "extra" ones in the back of a closet, but have no inclination to sell any. The attachment method is atrocious. They want to spin around instead of cycling... but a couple of strategically placed small plywood strips fastened to the mounting surface will stop that.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Graduate
    I never bought it, but I had this bookmarked for a long time before I decided to pass.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/pr...pistol-measure

Interesting, I knew there were others out there. I'm not sure I'm willing to drop more than 100-150 or so just so I can load .32 auto more efficiently but I will keep both in mind.

I’ve had really good luck with the Lee auto disk powder measure. It’s cheap but it’s consistent. I haven’t tried any charges under 3 grains though so I can’t say anything about 1-2 grain charges. The only down side is you have to use the powder through expanding die and it has to be used on the press.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
    I’ve had really good luck with the Lee auto disk powder measure. It’s cheap but it’s consistent. I haven’t tried any charges under 3 grains though so I can’t say anything about 1-2 grain charges. The only down side is you have to use the powder through expanding die and it has to be used on the press.
    yeah I have also heard you can configure the auto disk to get some consistently small repeatable measures. I think there is even several sources of custom parts like non-standard disks to basically get it to drop any charge.

You can also use a drill bit to make custom holes in the disk for specific charges.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by BWest View Post
    Interesting, I knew there were others out there. I'm not sure I'm willing to drop more than 100-150 or so just so I can load .32 auto more efficiently but I will keep both in mind.
    Precision is its own reward...