Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brass tumbler additives?

Graduate
    I posted this photo a long time ago and there is a thread around it that I can't currently find. You're not going to accomplish this with dry tumbling.

Name:  Beforeandafterweb.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  50.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I posted this photo a long time ago and there is a thread around it that I can't currently find. You're not going to accomplish this with dry tumbling.

Name:  Beforeandafterweb.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  50.0 KB
    The only thing I don't like is inspecting cases for pins still in them.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Never had that issue. I run them under moving water in a squirrel cage while wet and then squirrel cage them again when they are dry. Finally I run a magnet over them.

Do you reload 223?
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    I now use a Lyman ultra sonic cleaner,rinse them in water dry with a hair dryer then run them for about 20 minutes in dry corncob media.all the primer pockets are clean also.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Graduate
    Most of the time I'll admit to being lazy while tumbling. By that I mean putting the brass in the tumbler with walnut screwing the lid on it, turning it on and walking away. If the media is still sharp I'll come back sooner, if not I'll come back later.

Now if I wasn't as lazy, I'd déprime the brass and wet tumble with stainless pins, lemishine and dawn. I've done it before and it does a great job and cleans the primer pockets great.
    Seperating the pins from the brass not a issue, with a separator with a top on it, I use it like a salad spinner.., the blue spinner worked good In Low gear with the bottom in the water as well. but it was the drying of the brass that caused me to abandon it. I put in towels, or hung up in mesh bags, but did not put in trays or a dehydrator.

But for rifle brass that's been de primed, yes its a better cleaning method.

But that said, I'll still used walnut tumbled brass with primers intact and brush out the primer pockets as part of brass prep as I'm handling brass anyway.

But everyone has their own methods that work for them, and that's a good thing.
    I may revisit the swim team again for déprimed rifle brass.
    Last edited by mapper; February 12th, 2021 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I now use a Lyman ultra sonic cleaner,rinse them in water dry with a hair dryer then run them for about 20 minutes in dry corncob media.all the primer pockets are clean also.
    Do the primer pockets come out pretty clean after ultrasonic? I’m with Mapper about not having to dry, but I also don’t like cleaning the primer pockets. I also wouldn’t want to dry tumble after ultra sonic. If they come out of the ultra sonic cleaner with pretty clean primer pockets, that may be the best way to go and just let them air dry for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridawally View Post
    Do the primer pockets come out pretty clean after ultrasonic? I’m with Mapper about not having to dry, but I also don’t like cleaning the primer pockets. I also wouldn’t want to dry tumble after ultra sonic. If they come out of the ultra sonic cleaner with pretty clean primer pockets, that may be the best way to go and just let them air dry for a few days.
    I use a HF ultrasonic and it gets the brass and pockets clean. Not clean like thumbing with steel pins, but the dirt is gone, its just not super shiny brass. I use it for small batches of rifle stuff.

Graduate
    I'm lazy with pistol brass and don't clean primer pockets, I just run them through that little square deal..
    Now rifle brass prep I'm a bit more particular I do clean primer pockets.

But the motorized brass prep tools have brushes for that and the brass is already in my hand anyways.
    So chamfer deburr, brush neck, invert case and cut crimp and brush primer pocket is all one operation for me.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    I run my cleaned brass tru the corn cob media in a vibertory cleaner.looks like new brass
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!