Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  90
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New folks to the craft in out of stock world

Graduate

New folks to the craft in out of stock world

Well ŕ friend of mine wants to get into the reloading craft.
    Granted a econovirus forced shutdown, and shortages of components, does hamper things.
    Primers, well scarce is a very enthusiastic term that seems appropriate.
    But I don't remember when it reached all the way back to shortages and out of stock on priming tools, scales, shell holders, dies, presses like it has in these times.

I have some vintage gear he can use to get started, he found a little, and he can borrow some books I have. Abc's of reloading, Richard Lee 2nd edition, maybe Lyman 49 edition, that should be good general knowledge to start with.

So he will have to prime off press, but it's doable. Everything he learns will be used when supply lines return to normalcy, and the education is worthwhile.
    So straightwall brass seems feasible at this point for him. That's the easiest place to start anyway.
    Last edited by mapper; December 9th, 2020 at 01:01 AM.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Damn sure a bad time to get into reloading...

Quote Originally Posted by 12bhunting View Post
    Damn sure a bad time to get into reloading...
    A little behind the curve, but still better than $50 a box 9mm.

It ain't just re loading, canning stuff, meat grinders, body armor, all kinds of stuffs are getting hard to find. People that have laughed at my "hording " for years are now wanting to know where they can find some of whatever it is they were to arrogant to buy in the past. My answer...

"Man I don't know, I wish I would have bought some too."

No matter my situation on said items

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Mason Jars were absent from shelves for several months

A few jars are around but usually get snatched up quick, even though they are expensive. Lids....good luck. I did find some reusable lids that weren't bad and bought a bunch of them.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Quote Originally Posted by 0utlaw View Post
    A few jars are around but usually get snatched up quick, even though they are expensive. Lids....good luck. I did find some reusable lids that weren't bad and bought a bunch of them.
    I have been ordering jars and lids off Walmart.com and Target.com for delivery and they were in stock and normally arrived with a couple of days. Last order was like a month ago. They may not have had the preferred wide mouth jars in Quart size, but had them in regular mouth size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Jon

I also had success at the local Tractor supply and I saw some at Ace Hardware stores out of town just a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Jon

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Well ŕ friend of mine wants to get into the reloading craft.....
    What is your friend looking to load, Mapper?

Graduate
    9,45,223,308 pistol is achievable but rifle hard to find dies.
    In rifle he would need more case prep tools, to deal with chamfer, deburr, crimp removal.
    Sure I'd like to find a set of rcbs or redding dies and a 223 size shell holder.

The best i can scour up is the following
    Tumbler, media, separator, std shell holder for 308/45, extended one for 9
    Hand primer, a lyman all American press, Lee dies and pro autodisk for 9 and 45, and a 505 scale.

That will do pistol.

But yes all kinds of previously common stuff seems to have evaporated, canning lids, among them.
    Well, I guess on the brighter side of things, it's nice to see a resurgence in self sufficiently skills.
    Break out the foxfire books..
    Last edited by mapper; December 9th, 2020 at 12:15 PM.