Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass swager advice

Brass swager advice

Hello all,

I've been in the shop loading some 300blk and I've had 2 primers pop while trying to seat them. Ive used the primer pocket "tool" that came with my reloading press but it seems like some of these primer pockets are difficult to seat. What are you guys using as a swager for your 223/556 brass?

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    That will pucker yo ass lol

Damn sure did! And left me deaf for a while!

What brass is it? Can post pictures? Is there a way the pockets are crimped? I'm not an expert on reloading, so I would take pictures and send them to who is, which is mapper.....

Graduate
    Dillon super swedge if you have a lot, otherwise rcbs military crimp remover, or Hornady primer pocket uniforme, or you can use a countersink, or a drill bit, or a Philips screwdriver, I've even heard about done one using a pocket knife.

Ch4d and rcbs also make press mounted ones.. All depends on what fits your work flow better..
    There was another one like the Dillon by rcbs i think, it had a lever that ran parallel with it..

Usually crimped pocket brass either has a ring around the primer or has 3 staking marks..

Note: I purposely did not say which one I use. Or whether I prefer to swedge the crimp, or cut it.

But I have used the Dillon and rcbs bench mounts before, as well as the Ch4d press mount ones before.
    I have also cut the crimps as well using diffrent tools.
    But my work flow was better suited for something else..so that's what I use..

Your milage may vary,
    Last edited by mapper; November 8th, 2020 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks Mapper

I purposely used 223 to convert to 300 with the intent of avoiding this. But what's the saying about a best laid plan?

I guess I'll surf the interwebz to see what will best suit my needs.

Screenshot_20201108-150502_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201108-150448_Gallery.jpg

Here's the head stamps in question. The primer that is seated is the first one that went.

An rcbs military crimp remover on a simple press is how I deal with crimps.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Crimped primers.

Graduate
    Now if I was going to process brass, laying out what I have to work with, and wanting to keep brass handling and all motions as efficient as I can...

Bear in mind I do have the following at my disposal..
    A mini chop saw, à Lee turret press setup with a Lee Universal d'échapper, then the size die, then à powder chargé die, then à seating die, à cts electric trimmer, and à rcbs case prep center with rcbs military crimp remover, primer pocket brush, chamfer, and deburr..

I'd cut brass as 1 step, in batch process..
    Then I'd lube..
    I'd grab a piece of brass and put in shell holder, déprime, then size, pull with other hand invert cade and trim, then chamfer, deburr, invert case and cut crimp on crimp remover, then brush primer pocket..
    Drop in box..
    All of that is a fluid conservation of movement for me with only touching each peice brass 4 times or 5 maximum.. Can be 4 times if you lay brass out to be ready to be lubed..
    But.. It all depends on your equipment and work flow, really..

I've seen cut brass as batch process, lubed, then did press operations with a case feeder. but used a Dillon trimmer on size die.
    Then a Dillon super swedge as last step..

Diffrent work flows and equipment..