Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon square deal?

Dillon square deal?

anyone have a Dillon square deal?

I was offered one set up for 9mm for 400. Not sure if it is worth the price to upgrade over my turret I use for 9mm, though I'm leaning towards probably.

Graduate
    Yes I have one, it replaced the duties of pistol loading I was doing on my Lee classic cast turret.
    When I first ran it I didn't see a massive increase in production speed, more à massive decrease in amount of effort of motion. The pulling of the lever once vs 4 times for a loaded round was the selling point for me.

The dies are proprietary, and the length pistol only. If you are OK with that,
    I got mine for a deal with 38/9/45 dies setups, so that is why I went with it.

Sorry to be slow responding but I just saw the post. I have had a Dillon 550b for decades and like it a lot. A few years back a good friend offered me a SDB in 9mm in a fair deal and I bit. I figured a dedicated progressive set up for just 9mm was a good thing. After loading several thousand rounds on it over the years I think I was right. I am not getting rid of my 550, but the SDB is very handy for cranking out 9mm ammo. Oh, it will deprime a Berdan case BTW. And you will know it when you punch that new flash hole in the case.

I don’t do a very good job of sorting my brass and bad cases find their way into the press pretty regularly. Since the SDB is automatic you can’t back up to pull a case out and it ends up at station 2. The little locator buttons are tough for my fat fingers to remove, so I made my own pig-tailed button. I put an 8d nail in the vise and twisted a pig-tail curl to it then 90 degrees down and trimmed to length. I think I had to smash the top a little with a hammer to flatten it a little but it works great. The nail head hangs out and gives me something to grab to remove the pin to remove a sorry case and get back in business. I see folks sell plastic tabs that go under the factory pins that do the same thing, but I have lots of 8d nails.

Graduate
    Get a 650/750. Buy once cry once.

yeah, that's kinda my thought, I'm pretty happy with my setup and output rn, but if I'm going to drop the chunk of change a Square Deal is, I might as well put that towards the more versatile press

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by BWest View Post
    yeah, that's kinda my thought, I'm pretty happy with my setup and output rn, but if I'm going to drop the chunk of change a Square Deal is, I might as well put that towards the more versatile press
    I’ve said several times the only purchasing regrets I’ve ever had was when I didn’t go big enough soon enough.

I went straight from a RCBS single stage (not even as nice as a Rockchucker, the one below that) to the 650. Never looked back.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Get a 650/750. Buy once cry once.
    I'm running an old Lee single. Damn all that crying...

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bhunting View Post
    If you shot more...

Quote Originally Posted by 12bhunting View Post
    I started with a Lyman "spartan" which my old man picked up many years ago but never used, by the time I started loading and shooting a lot of 9mm I found a lee 4 hole turret on sale for around a 100 bucks, which has been great. I keep the single stage on the bench, but basically only use it for cast bullet sizing. The interchangeable turrets and primer catch tube are great quality of life improvements.

Other than high volume pistol, I would load everything in batches when I just had the single stage, and I don't think overall it was that slow. And if you are just loading hunting ammo or a box of .38 here and there, I think anyone could get by fine with one.