Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Local Range Equipment Rentals

Local Range Equipment Rentals

Do any local ranges rent out chronographs for temporary use at their range? If none do, does anyone think there is a chance one could be convinced to do so? I think it could be a small money maker and I currently have a temporary need for one.

I am working on a project where I need to determine accurate MVs from my specific firearms using a variety of factory ammo. However, once this short project is complete, I see little need to own an expensive chronograph. Therefore my inquiry. Thanks.

BTW, I will be happy to post the details of my project and results once complete.

Re: Local Range Equipment Rentals

Talon Range.

That was easy, huh.

Though it is not for rent because it would take too many rentals to make the purchase of a quality chronograph justifiable. However, I'll loan it to you once you establish you can shoot well enough to not stand a disproportionately high likelihood of killing it.

Sound fair enough?
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I seem to remember a fellow taking out a chrono at OC a while back. Scruffy looking fella with a .308 If I remember correctly :

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

[quote author=Rumbler link=topic=2007.msg18581#msg18581 date=1376226920]
    Talon Range.

That was easy, huh.

Though it is not for rent because it would take too many rentals to make the purchase of a quality chronograph justifiable. However, I'll loan it to you once you establish you can shoot well enough to not stand a disproportionately high likelihood of killing it.

Sound fair enough?
    [/quote]

More than fair enough. I really appreciate the offer and greatfully submit to your shooting evaluation. Regularly replacing screens and fixing whatever else renters can do would be a pain in the ass. I will however need a brief tutorial on its proper use.

My plan is to shoot a limited group from benchrest for each firearm/ammo combination. I will be looking to do this in a couple of months once the weather cools a bit. I am looking to test several hunting firearms for more accurate MPBR numbers (using factory velocity is suspect); therefore, similar atmospheric conditions are preferred.

Thanks again. I will be in touch.

Excellent. We will be more than happy to help any way we can.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by 0317 View Post
    I seem to remember a fellow taking out a chrono at OC a while back. Scruffy looking fella with a .308 If I remember correctly :

Yeah he killed the crap out of it. With a single shot.

One shot one kill

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Graduate
    Mash, is there a reason you want to wait until cooler weather other than mere comfort? I have one and if the shooting can be done in one session I don't mind bringing mine out there and setting it up for you while you shoot. Just name when you'd want to go out and I'll see if I can arrange my schedule. I'm at the Talon range multiple times a week these days!

I'm confident my chrono reads right because every time I go to a major match they run my ammo through a dual chrono setup with the infrared screens and the whole nine yards. Reads exactly what mine does.

There are two things that are absolutely necessary to get the most out of your chrono. The first is to make sure both windows are equally lighted, and the second is to make sure the windows are level. If they aren't level, the distance between them is shortened, making for a faster read than the bullet is actually going. I take a 2' level with me on chrono days.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Mash, is there a reason you want to wait until cooler weather other than mere comfort? I have one and if the shooting can be done in one session I don't mind bringing mine out there and setting it up for you while you shoot. Just name when you'd want to go out and I'll see if I can arrange my schedule. I'm at the Talon range multiple times a week these days!

I'm confident my chrono reads right because every time I go to a major match they run my ammo through a dual chrono setup with the infrared screens and the whole nine yards. Reads exactly what mine does.

There are two things that are absolutely necessary to get the most out of your chrono. The first is to make sure both windows are equally lighted, and the second is to make sure the windows are level. If they aren't level, the distance between them is shortened, making for a faster read than the bullet is actually going. I take a 2' level with me on chrono days.
    Thank you for your kind offer; I really appreciate it. Also, thank you for the chrono education; I knew of the level requirement, but did not know about the lighting (makes sense though).

While cooler weather in itself is always appreciated, my primary reason for waiting is that most of the firearms I wish to test are for hunting purposes and weather has a small, but real, impact on velocity and therefore MPBR, etc. (higher data accuracy being a prime objective). Hense my desire for "hunting weather." I figure in this reigon approximately 70 degrees F, 30.00 Hg pressure, and 70% humidity would be a good daily average. Right now early mornings meet the first two conditions, just need to wait for the humidity to drop a bit.

As part of my testing, I first want to test my squirrel guns (I love hunting the bushy tails ). 22 caliber rimfires typically have a factory velocity resulting 2" MPBR of 59 to 92 Yards. With such short ranges, I figure that all the more important it is to have good starting data. Later on I would like to test my larger caliber firearms up to .30-06.

Ultimately my goal is to get accurate velocity data for select cartridges from my firearms under average weather conditions. I will then use this data to determine more accurate MPBR data for each firearm and ammo combination. Finally I will publish my theory, using the results as examples, on why I believe MPBR is an innaccurate and incomplete formula (usually providing longer ranges than is accurate) missing a number of important variables. I don't absolutely need the more accurate data to support my theory, but it would be of assistance (plus I would have better accuracy myself ).
    Last edited by Masharubu; August 20th, 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Corrected Punctuation