Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: staining plastic magazines

staining plastic magazines

so I ordered some CMMG magazines for a .22LR AR platform and while they function great, they are battleship grey. Now, there is nothing wrong with battleship grey as a color, just not on a black rifle. So after seeing how people were using Rit Dye on wood furniture, I figured I'd give it a shot on plastic.

Disassembled the magazines, since I didn't want to dye the follower, and soaked them in black RIT, and after an hour they came out as if they were molded in black plastic, they look factory. I can't recommend this more if you are looking to change a magazine's color (assuming your mag is of a light color)

Procedure I used is:

1. Disassemble and clean mag bodies with soap and water, and rinse thoroughly.

2. Add 8 OZ bottle of dye to about 6 quarts of water and stir (don't use a pot that you use for cooking, I got a cheap stainless steel pot at walmart for 5 bucks)

3. Heat the dye and water mixture to really hot (150-180) heat will slightly expand the plastic, allowing the dye to really penetrate (heh, penetrate)

4. Add the parts to be dyed, shut off the stove, and let it be for about an hour, and stir it up every 15 minutes or so.

5. Remove parts from pot, rinse and let dry.

6. Reassemble and enjoy.

Equipment required:

sacrificial pot. I got one from walmart for 5 bucks (not sure if it's safe to eat out of it after having dye in it like that
    RIT liquid dye. Costs about 3 dollars for the 8 Oz bottle
    Stove or other heat source
    Tongs to fish out the parts. (it will stain your skin if you reach into the pot)
    I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. I will never leave a fallen comrade. Excerpt from the Soldier's Creed

Re: staining plastic magazines

Pic or didn't happen
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

ok, upon closer inspection and in different light, I may have used too much water, a few tiny spots seem a bit dark blue. but all in all, it's way better than battleship grey

for reference. this is what they started as
    I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. I will never leave a fallen comrade. Excerpt from the Soldier's Creed

Well done sir. Looks pretty good. You could probably get some of the aluminum black stuff and touch up paint it
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

I have to say those cmmg mags roc. I have thought about the color as well, but then I have several AR Stoner mags that are gray.
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

they work great, I just didnt like the color

Quote Originally Posted by Mikec2003 View Post
    they work great, I just didnt like the color
    How does the die handle scratches?
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

so far, its as if they were molded in black plastic. the dye goes in deep

They had a how to do article on this in one of my recoil magazines.
    When there is beer involved,we all win.
    Me

I felt you went over the line a bit,when you theoretically wanted to fornicate with a mythical child.
    Daniel Tosh

Are those for a 15-22? If so I need some and would want them black as well.