Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ms 290 stihl

"In the thundering madness of the locomotive breath "
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been running a MS261C for a couple of weeks cutting mostly very large Ligustrums. It's handy, and adequate... but the hard Ligustrum wood is slow-cutting. I've got a Husqvarna 460 that would eat the wood faster, but I don't feel like hefting all of that weight on a job as big/long as this.

Since till now I've used Husqvarnas, the big improvement with the Stihl besides the lighter weight is that my damn big thumb on my damn big hand doesn't flip the switch off for no reason but to cause me aggravation.
    The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and abandoned while they neglect the means of self-defense. The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world, as well as property.
    (Thomas Paine, "Thoughts on Defensive War" - 1775)

Senior
    Feedback Score
    Well shit. The rear bar stud screws into the engine crank case, which I knew, but this bastard is stuck hard. Actually put a dent in my vice jaws trying to get it out. Ordered a pair of channellock 410 which claim to grip round better than new vice grips(which also didnít work). So far, Iím into my free saw for about $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CWP required for sales in Leon County.
    $10 charge for out of county transfers.

Junior
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Weld a nut to it, The heat will help loosen the loctite

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, boy. That's how we did it in the gokart shop.
    THE GREATER PART OF LIBERTY IS MINDING YOUR OWN FUCKIN BUSINESS.

Senior
    Feedback Score
    I thought about welding a nut on the stud, but that will be a last resort. I got the channellocks in last night and I can say these things grip even fully rounded material. I've been putting some penetrating oil on it for the last couple days, I'll see if I can get it out tonight. I've also read that they put locktite on the studs, so may apply some heat as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Name:  b6caf698cdfdc5855960dc203a4df29a_400x1000.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  23.2 KB

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.Ē 1 Samuel 22:23

Everybody says they're a warrior...until it's time to do warrior shit.

Junior
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Did you try using two bar nuts locked together on the stud and a large wrench? Seems like that how I have replaced chainsaw studs before.

Senior
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GREYSTAR View Post
    Did you try using two bar nuts locked together on the stud and a large wrench? Seems like that how I have replaced chainsaw studs before.
    I did, they just stripped out the threads on the stud.

I was able to use the parrot jaw channellocks to back out the stud. Going to chase the threads with a tap once I get the rest of it taken apart. It still took some effort to get it out.

"In the thundering madness of the locomotive breath "
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    Unsolicited advice, if you heat it the aluminum case will act as a quenching agent making the bolt harder and more difficult to drill. If you have to use heat , heat the case and not the bolt. I’ve found that heating and then freezing a couple of times will break most stuck bolts free. The freezing will often times work with out having to use heat and the damage that heat causes can be avoided.
    Jo-Jo told me that you can also cut off all of that pesky alyewminium with a hacksaw thus freeing the stud. He called me, he said, from Ukraine, just to tell me that, but I really think he is in Russia,
    The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and abandoned while they neglect the means of self-defense. The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world, as well as property.
    (Thomas Paine, "Thoughts on Defensive War" - 1775)

Senior
    Feedback Score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk