Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Hornady lock n load system

Thoughts on Hornady lock n load system

Hey guys, need some thoughts on the hornady lock n load system.

I have been wanting to get into reloading for a while and ran across this system in my research. It sounds like the lock n load bushings would make things easier to duplicate once set up and locked in. It also comes with everything needed to get started up, as I have nothing.

This would be for range ammo mostly (223/556, 9, 40 45) and possibly some precision hunting loads in .270 and eventually 300acc.

Is this a good investment? I have enough rewards points to get the system and some dies without having to out of pocket any funds. Any advice is appreciated.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    You can not go wrong with Hornaday,equipment or componets have used Hornaday bullets for 58yrs,have taken mule deer,whitetails,antelope and elk with them.i use rcbs rock chucker from over 58 yrs but Hornaday did not produce equipment back then.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quite frankly I think two choices exist in progressive's.

dillion and Lee. One works with little fiddling and lots of money, the other works with lots of fiddling and little money. Everything I've read about the Hornady progressive and it sounds like its slightly better than Lee, but not enough to matter.

If you are talking single stage, its hard to buy a bad single stage press. My lee single stage has something similar to the LnL for putting dies in and it is quite nice.
    Last edited by Dale Gribble; July 11th, 2019 at 12:02 PM.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Everyone has a preference for their flavor, but Dillon Precision is the way to go if you're looking for a progressive. Dale is right in that if you're looking for a single stage it's hard to get it wrong, but I've been around reloading since 1990 and have seen the frustrations of a LOT of people who went with a progressive system that wasn't Dillon. They are easy to set up and once set up, they stay that way. The Dillon powder dispenser is the most accurate on the market, and if consistency matters to you (and it should) then the choice is clear.

Buy once, cry once.

I meant dillion, not RCBS. Thanks AB.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

I want a Dillon, but am probably gonna get the LNL Ammo Plant. It's got more than enough good reviews to overshadow the bad, and the only real video I could find outlining negatives it was obviously operator error. In another $1,100 I'll let you know how it works out. Push comes to shove I mail it and a copy of the receipt to Hornady and get my money back.

Graduate
    Make sure you stay hydrated. All those tears of frustration can sneak up on you!

I spent half an hour last night trying to find all the "options" shown with the 750 on Dillons website, still not sure if I managed to add everything shown to the cart. And it still didn't have the Mr. Bullet feeder or the die for it.
    Without using the ammo plant, I can give it a big check over Dillon for ease of shopping, it comes with the bells and whistles and you don't have to hunt through a website for them.

Dillon needs to make one of their tech savvy employees update their website.

That being said, Dillon's financiers just approved me enough to get the 1100 and all the bells and whistles, so I just ordered the 750 and bells and whistles today. No bullet feeder though, had to keep it around the $1,200 mark. Merry Christmas to me!

Graduate
    Let us know how it goes. Often, I see folks buy guns and gear and never get back to us with a review!